Listen to part of a conversation between a student and a librarian.
听一段学生和图书管理员的对话。
Hi, um... I really hope you can help me.
嗨,呃......我真的希望你能帮我个忙。
Thats why Im here.
这是我分内事。
What can I do for you?
我能帮你什么忙呢?
I'm supposed to do a literature review for my psychology course, but um...having a hard time finding articles.
我想写一篇关于心理学课程的文献综述,但是我在找文章的时候遇到了困难。
I don't even know where to start looking.
我甚至都不知道应该从哪开始找。
You said this is for your psychology course, right?
你说这个文学评论是心理学课的,是吧?
So your focus is on Dream Interpretation.
所以,你的课题是在梦的解析。
Well, you have a focus, so thats already a good start.
行,你有了课题,所以这已经是一个很好的开始了。
Hmmm...well, therere a few things?Oh wait...have you checked to see if your professor put any material for you to look at on reserve?
嗯……好,有这么几件事……哦,等等……你知不知道你们的教授是否给你们预留了学习资料?
Aha, thats one thing I did know to do.
啊哈,这件事我知道去做。
I just copied an article, but I still need three more on my topic from three different journals.
我刚刚复印了一篇文章,但我还再需要从三个不同的期刊里找出三篇关于我的主题的文章。
Lets get you going on looking for those then.
那我们就一块帮你接着找这三篇文章呗。
We have printed versions of twenty psychologyjournals in the Reference Section.
在“参考书库区”,我们已经印刷了二十年左右的心理学期刊。
These are the ones published within the last year.
这些都是去年一年内发行的。
Then I think about it...there's a journal named Sleep and Dream.
此外,我记得……似乎有一份名为《睡眠与梦》的期刊。
Oh, yeah, the article I just copied is from that journal, so Ive got to look at other sources.
哦,是的。我刚才复印的那篇文章就来自那本期刊,所以我得看看其他资料来源。
Ok, actually, most of our materials are available electronically now.
好的,其实我们的大部分资料现在都可以通过网络查阅的。
You can access psychology databases or electronic journals and articles through the librarys computers, and if you want to search by title with the word dream for example,
你可以通过图书馆的电脑登陆心理学数据库,查阅相关电子期刊和文章。同时,如果你想通过搜索标题关键字查找,例如“梦”一词,
just type it in and all the articles with dream in the title will come up on the screen.
输入该词,所有标题包含“梦”一词的文章将都出现在屏幕上。
Cool, thats great!
酷,太好了!
Too bad I can not do this from home.
可惜我不能在家里做。
But you can.
不,你可以。
All of the librarys databases and electronic sources can be accessed through any computer connected to the university network.
任何连接学校网络的电脑都可以登入学校所有的图书馆数据库和电子资源库。
Really?
真的!?
I cant believe I didnt know that.
真不敢相信我居然不知道这回事
It still sounds like its going to take a while though, you know, going through all of that information,all of those sources.
但是这看来得还是得花点时间来搜索所有的信息和数据。
Maybe, but you already narrow your search down to articles on Dream Interpretation, so it shouldnt be too bad.
也许吧,但你已经把搜索范围缩小到关于“梦的解析”的文章,所以应该不会那么糟糕。
And you probably notice that theres an abstract or summary at the top of the first page of the article you copied.
你可能注意到了:在你复印的文章第一页的顶部有一个摘要。
When you go into the databases and electronic sources, you have the option to display the abstracts on the computer screen,
当你进入了数据库和电子资源库,你可以选择性的去读电脑屏幕上显示的文章摘要。
skimming those to decide whether or not you want to read the whole article should cut down some time.
通过浏览这些摘要来决定是否要阅读整篇文章,这样应该能节约一些时间。
Right, abstracts!
对,摘要!
They'll definitely make the project more durable.
毫无疑问,它们让这个方案更加可行。
I guess I should try out the electronic search while Im still here then, you know,just in case.
我想趁我现在在图书馆尝试下电子搜索,以防万一我不会弄。
Sure, er...that computers free over there, and Ill be here till five this afternoon.
好的,呃……那边那台电脑没人用,今天下午五点前我人都在这里。
Thanks, I feel a lot better about this assignment now.
谢谢,对于这次作业我现在放心多了。