So anyway, since with HP and I started going up to their Palo Alto Research Labs every Tuesday night,
之后我每周二晚都去惠普的Palo Alto实验室
with a small group of people to meet some of the researchers and staffs.
与一些研究人员见面
And I saw the first desktop computer ever made which was the HP 1900.
我见到了第一台台式计算机HP 1900
It was that as big as a suitcase but it actually had a small Cathode Ray Tube(CRT) displayed in it.
大概有行李箱那么大,装着小小的CRT显示器
And it was completed self-contained. There was no wire going off behind the curtain somewhere, and I fell in love with it.
它是一台可以独立工作的一体机,我很喜欢
And you could program BASIC in APL.
它使用Basic或APL编程
And I would just, for hours, you know, get right up to HP and just hang around that machine and write programs for it.
我常常数小时地守着它编程
So that was the early days. And I met Steve Wozniak around that time too,
那是早些年,也差不多也是在那时我认识了Steve Wozniak
maybe a little earlier, when I was about 14, 15 years old.
我大约十四五岁,可能还要小些
And we immediately hit it off, and he was the first person I met who knew more electronics than I did.
我俩很投缘,他是我遇到的第一个比我更懂电子知识的人
So I like him a lot and he was, uh, maybe 5 years older than I.
他大概比我大五岁,我很喜欢他
He gone off to college and got kicked out for pulling pranks.
他因为制造恶作剧被大学开除
And he was living with his parents and going to the ends of the local junior college.
刚刚回到父母家,正在修大专的结业课程
so we became best friends and started doing projects together.
我们成了最要好的朋友,开始一起做项目
We read about the story in Esquire magazine about this guy named Captain Crunch,
我们在《Esquire》杂志上看到有个叫Captain Crunch的人
who could supposedly make free telephone calls, you heard about this I'm sure.
据说他有办法打免费电话,你肯定也听说过