重点讲解:
1. work one's ass off
非常努力做事情;
eg. I work my ass off at the club, and what does it get me?
我在俱乐部里累死累活地干,又有什么用呢?
eg. The quickest path to expertise is to take direct action, get a lot of experience, and work your ass off.
成为顶尖高手的捷径就是采取行动,积累丰厚经验,拼命努力。
eg. And most importantly- work your ass off.
当然,最重要的是你得努力工作。
2. in one's opinion
在…看来;据…的意见;
eg. The book is, in Henry's opinion, the best book on the subject.
依照亨利的看法,这本书是关于该主题的最佳著述。
eg. Well he's not making a very good job of it in my opinion.
然而,在我看来,这件事他做得不尽如人意。
3. live up to
遵守(诺言);符合,不辜负(期望);
eg. Sales have not lived up to expectations this year.
今年的销售额不尽如人意。
eg. Had he lived up to his promise, he would have made a fortune in sponsorship money.
要是他遵守了诺言的话,他本应该已经从赞助费中赚了一大笔钱了。
名人简介:
早年生活:
他与当时比较好的几个朋友,包括古奇(Guggi,原名Fionan Hanvey)、盖文·弗莱德(Gavin Friday,原名Derek Rowen,两人匀是另一个与U2关系匪浅的乐团“处女梅”Virgin Prunes的成员)等人,成立了一个名叫利普顿村(Lypton Village)的秘密音乐社团,想要用音乐这种方式摆脱掉生活的不快。