Todd: Ah, Kawabe, (Yes, Sir) You are Japanese, so can you explain manga? And what is Manga? And why is it so popular?
托德:川边,(是,先生)你是日本人,你能说明一下漫画吗?什么是漫画?它为什么这么受欢迎?
Kawabe: OK, it's a diff...it's easy, but difficult question. (Yeah). OK, manga is the, is the drawing with the story.
川边:好,这是……这是个既简单又难回答的问题。(好)嗯,漫画就是把故事画出来。
Todd: Uh-huh! So like a comic book, but not really a comic book.
托德:啊哈!就像漫画书,但实际上那并不是漫画书。
Kawabe: Mm, that, many kinds of manga, so basically it's the picture which is drawn by someone, and then you read it, and which has a story, it's a comic. Mm, it's a comic, and then,
川边:嗯,漫画有许多种,基本上来说,就是某人画出来的图片,然后你通过画来看那个故事,这就是漫画。嗯,这就是漫画,然后……
Todd: So there's manga about many things.
托德:那漫画可以讲述很多事情。
Kawabe: About many things yes!
川边:对,可以讲很多事情。
Todd: For example, what topics or what themes might there be manga about?
托德:举个例子来说,漫画都包含什么主题呢?
Kawabe: It depends, it depends. There are thousands of you know, stories and if it's about the animal,like a, it can be anything.
川边:这要视情况而定。你知道,有上千种故事,可以是有关动物的故事,也可以是其他事情的故事。
Todd: Really! (Yeah) Like for example, baseball or?
托德:真的!(对)举例来说,有关棒球的故事?
Kawabe: Yeah! Baseball stories. A kid's stories, American football story, Shakespeare's manga.
川边:对!有关棒球的故事。还有有关儿童的故事,以及橄榄球、莎士比亚的漫画等等。
Todd: Shakespeare manga!
托德:有关莎士比亚的漫画!
Kawabe: Yeah, you don't have to read! (Really) Yeah, of course. And then, what else? Everything, you can.
川边:对,你没必要去读书!(真的吗)当然了。还有什么?可以有关所有的事情。
Todd: Ramen manga?
托德:拉面漫画?
Kawabe: Ramen manga! There is. Seriously! Ramen manga! Salaryman manga. School teacher manga, and any kind of home drama, or the stories of novel can be manga. Manga script. So, it's, OK, imagine the movie. Yeah! You can make up everything. Troy! Old ancient greek stories! Or the like the, the future stories, like, and the, you know, whatever it is. You know. You just make it up,and write it or draw it.
川边:拉面漫画!的确有。说真的,拉面漫画!还有上班族漫画、教师漫画,漫画也会涉及家庭连续剧或是小说故事。漫画剧本。所以,嗯,就像电影一样。没错!你可以编造任何故事。特洛伊!古雅典故事、或是未来的故事,你知道,什么都可以。你只要编出故事,写出来,然后画出来就可以了。
Todd: Why do you think manga is so popular?
托德:那你认为漫画为什么这么受欢迎?
Kawabe: Because, it's like the hollywood movie, in the states the hollywood movie is so popular, because it's the field you can express your imagination, where you can play with your imagination, and how do you say?
川边:因为,就像好莱坞电影一样,美国好莱坞的电影非常受欢迎,因为这是一个你可以表达想象的领域,一个你可以和想象力一起玩的领域,你们怎么说来着?
Todd: Like it's not real.
托德:那并不真实。
Kawabe: Yeah, it's not real.
川边:对,不是真实的。
Todd: Escape reality.
托德:逃离现实。
Kawabe: Uh-huh, it's the, like a neverland.
川边:啊哈,就像梦幻岛一样。
Todd: Fantasy!
托德:幻想!
Kawabe: Fantasy! So, in Japan it's the manga instead of hollywood movies, I think.
川边:幻想!所以我认为,对日本来说漫画就像好莱坞的电影一样。
Todd: That's really interesting. So do you still read manga?
托德:那真有意思。那你还会看漫画吗?
Kawabe: I used to read a lot, read a lot, but now I don't read much as I was reading, OK, for example, how much do I read? Like one story in three months.
川边:我以前会看很多漫画,非常多,但是现在我看得没有以前那么多了,怎么举例说明我看多少漫画呢?我大概三个月看一个故事。
Todd: You mean one manga story in three months. Oh! so you still read manga sometimes?
托德:你的意思是说三个月看一个漫画故事。噢!就是说你偶尔还会看漫画了?
Kawabe: Sometimes! Like sometimes my friend recommended, or sometimes I saw a good review on the magazine. Yeah, I pick up some and I read them when I got time, but not very much recently.
川边:有时!有时我的朋友会给我推荐,或者有时我会在杂志上看到好的推介。嗯,我有时间的时候就会看一些,但最近看得不多。