重点讲解:
1. pet peeve
不能忍受的事;
eg. I hate people who talk too loud; that's my pet peeve.
我讨厌讲话大声的人;那是我很受不了的事 。
eg. My only pet peeve is rain on Sunday.
我唯一无法忍受的事就是星期天下雨 。
2. in public
公开地;当众;
eg. He snubbed her in public and made her feel an idiot.
他当众冷落她,让她觉得自己像一个白痴似的 。
eg. In many countries it is considered rude to spit in public.
在许多国家,当众吐痰属不雅行为 。
3. sew up
缝合;缝补;
eg. Next day, Miss Stone decided to sew up the rip.
第二天,斯通小姐决定将撕破的地方缝好 。
eg. This material was then put into cotton bags which were weighed and then sewn up.
然后这些材料被放入棉布袋子里称重,接着再缝好 。
4. Who cares?
(表示说话者毫不在乎)谁在乎;
eg. Who cares about some stupid vacation?...
谁在乎什么愚蠢的度假?
eg. 'But we might ruin the stove.' — 'Who cares?'
“可我们会把炉子弄坏的!”——“我才不在乎呢!”
5. consider as
把…看作…;
eg. People consider foxes as clever but sly animals.
人们认为狐狸是既聪明又狡猾的动物 。
eg. The above order is based on your price list, which we consider as binding.
上述订单是以贵方价格单为依据拟定的, 我们认为贵方价格单有约束力 。
adj. 复杂的,难懂的
动词complica