Should I be allowed to make my own decisions?
我们是否能够自己做决定。
Many teenagers have hobbies.
许多青少年都有爱好。
But sometimes these hobbies can get in the way of schoolwork, and parents might worry about their child's success at school.
但是,有时这些爱好会影响学习,父母会担心孩子在学校的学习表现。
Teenagers often think they should be allowed to practice their hobbies as much as they want.
青少年经常认为父母应该允许他们来进行业余爱好。
Do you agree?
你同意吗?
Liu Yu, a fifteen-year-old from Shandong, is a running star.
刘宇是一名来自山东的15岁男孩,他是一名跑步明星。
He is in his school running team, and has always wanted to be a professional athlete.
他在学校的跑步队当中,他非常想成为一名专业运动员。
However, his parents won't allow him to train as much as he would like to.
但是,他的父母不允许进行大量的训练。
"Of course we want to see Liu Yu achieve his dreams," says Mr Liu, "and we know how much he loves running.
刘先生说我们当然希望刘宇能够实现梦想,我们知道他多爱跑步。
That's great, and my wife and I have watched him in every one of his races.
这太好了,我和妻子观看了他的每一场比赛。
We have nothing against running!
我们都不反对跑步!
But we do think about that our son needs to be realistic.
但是我们都认为儿子应该更加实际一些。
Now he is getting older, and he needs to think about what will happen if he doesn't become a professional runner in the end."
现在他长大了,他需要考虑到如果没有成为专业运动员的后果。”
Liu Yu doesn't really agree.
刘宇并不同意。
"Well, I think I should be allowed to make decisions for myself," he says.
他说,我认为我应该能够自己做出决定。
"My parents have always taught me the importance of working hard and not just to do what I enjoy.
我的父母总是告诉我努力工作的重要性,所有事情并不是随心所欲的。
I understand this. But I'm serious about running.
我明白。但是我对跑步是非常认真的。
Being a professional runner is the only thing I have ever wanted to do."
成为专业运动员是我唯一想做的事情。
Mr and Mrs Liu believe that Liu Yu should study hard in the evenings, and so they don't allow him to practice running on school nights.
刘先生和女士相信刘宇应该在晚上更加努力学习,要不然他们将不允许他参加晚上的训练。
"I know this might seem strict," says Mrs Liu, "but we think we're doing the right thing.
刘女士说我知道这或许非常严格,但是我们认为我们的决定是正确的。
He has to understand that very few people can become professional athletes.
他必须明白只有少数人能够成为专业运动员。
It's a very difficult dream to achieve.
这是一个非常艰难的梦想。
We don't allow him to practice every day because we think he needs to spend time on his homework."
我们不允许他每天接受训练,因为我们认为他应该花一些时间在学习上。
But Liu Yu still doesn't agree.
但是刘宇还是不同意。
"I know my parents care about me," he says. "But they are always talking about what will happen if I don'tsucceed.
他说我知道父母关心我,但是他们总是跟我谈论到如果不成功后的后果。
But I will succeed!
但是我一定要成功。
I think I should be allowed to make this decision for myself.
我认为我应该自己决定一些事情。
Only then will I have a chance of achieving my dream."
只有这样我才能实现我的梦想。