You're the headmistress of Oxford High School for girls.
你是牛津女子高中的校长。
How many girls do you have here?
这里有多少女生呢?
We have 650 girls.
我们有650名女生。
In your experience, do girls do better academically and later professionally in single-sex schools?
就你的经验来看,女生在单性别的学校会在学术上和之后的职场上做得更好吗?
Yes. I think they do better academically and you can measure that very crudely from examination results.
是的, 我认为她们在学术上更优秀,你可以直接从考试成绩上来评判。
I also think they do better academically
我也觉得她们在学术上做得更好,
because they have more opportunities to take the leading role in discussions and in managerial responsibilities.
因为她们在讨论中和管理职责上有更多机会来充当领导的角色。
I think they see the role models of the chief positions in the school being held by women.
我觉得她们视学校里那些担任高级管理人员的女性为镑样。
I wonder if you could say then, in a few words, what the advantages are for a girl at a single-sex school.
我想你能不能简要说一下,女孩在单性别学校的好处是什么。
Well, I think within the classroom, she is going to have full opportunity to express her own opinions.
嗯,我认为在教室里,她们有充足的机会表达她们的观点。
She isn't going to be shouted down by over-confident young gentlemen.
她们不会被过于自信的年轻男生给压倒。
Are teenagers in particular, do you think, sheltered too much from contact with the opposite sex?
你觉得尤其是青少年被过分庇护而无法与异性接触吗?
Does this cause them difficulties when they find themselves in mixed groups?
当她们在混合群体中她们会觉得很困难吗?
Well, I would like to find the parents who could shelter girls from the opposite sex if they live in Oxford.
好吧,我倒想找到那些父母,他们能庇护他们在牛津大学的女儿不与异性接触。
They encounter boys all the time socially out of school,
她们在校外的社会中总是会遇到男生,
and through debating societies and things like that, some school activities as well.
通过辩论社团之类的东西,还有一些学校活动。
So, no disadvantages at all?
所以一点缺点都没有吗?
I don't think there are any disadvantages.
我不觉得有什么缺点。
I think that is grossly overstated that one needs to have contact with the opposite sex right through the whole of life,
人们认为人的一生都需要和异性接触,无论是在校内还是校外,无论任何年龄,
in the classroom and outside the classroom and at all ages.
但我认为这被严重夸大了。