Listen to a conversation between a student and his art history professor.
听一段学生和艺术史教授的对话。
How was the museum?
博物馆怎么样?
Great. I hadn't been there for a few years.
棒极了。我已经好几年没去了。
Did you enjoy the Van Gogh painting?
你喜欢梵高的画吗?
That's the thing. Looks like I have to change my topic.
这就是问题所在了。看起来我要换课题了。
Hmm... we are getting close to the deadline.
我们离截止日期已经很近了。
You were writing about the theme of night in the paintings of Vincent Van Gogh. It's a wonderful topic.
你写的是文森特·梵高画作中夜的主题,这个话题很不错。
I know. People don't usually think of Van Gogh as an artist of nocturnal themes.
我知道。人们不总觉得梵高是表现夜色主题的艺术家。
They think of brightness, sunshine, all that yellow and orange.
他们想到的都是明亮的色彩、阳光,黄色和橙色。
You are right, of course, about the intense light associated with his daytime paintings.
当然了,你说得对,在梵高关于白天的画作中,强烈的光线总是伴随出现。
But his night paintings don't exactly lack brightness.
但他关于夜晚的画作实际上也不缺明亮的元素。
That's the paradox that I really like, the paradox of painting a nighttime scene using so much color and light.
我正是喜欢这种矛盾之处,画的是一个夜晚的场景,但运用了这么多色彩和光线。
So I was planning to focus mostly on his painting Starry Night.
我打算专注于他的画作《星夜》。
But?
但?
When I went to the museum to look at the actual painting, like you told me to. It wasn't there.
和你告诉过我的一样,我去了博物馆看画作真品,但它不在那儿。
Really? Isn't it part of the permanent collection?
真的吗?那不是永久藏品吗?
Yes. But it's on loan right now to a museum in Europe.
是。但这幅画现在借给了欧洲一家博物馆。
Ah, I see. Well, I am strict about having students write about paintings they can observe first hand.
我懂了,我在这方面要求很严格,坚持让学生写能第一手观察到的画作。
Well, I found another painting I could study instead.
我找到了另一幅我能研究的画。
OK.
好。
I read that there are two paintings called Starry Night.
我看到,原来有两幅画叫《星夜》。
The first one was done by the French realist painter Millet.
第一幅是法国现实主义画家米勒画的。
It may have been the inspiration for Van Gogh's painting.
这可能是梵高画作的灵感来源。
Millet's painting is located near my family's house in Connecticut.
米勒的画在康涅狄格,离我家很近。
And I am going there this weekend and could study it then.
我这周会回去,到那时我就能研究这幅画了。
I made sure it's not out on loan.
我确认了,这幅画没被借走。
That definitely would work then.
这绝对行得通。
Van Gogh copied many of Millet's compositions.
梵高模仿了许多米勒的艺术技巧。
We know that he really admired Millet's work.
我们都知道他很喜欢米勒的作品。
And a lot of us think Van Gogh saw this particular painting by Millet in Paris in the late 1700s.
很多人认为,在18世纪晚期,梵高在巴黎看见了这幅米勒的画作。
Yeah. Although Millet was a realist painter, and Van Gogh a post-impressionist, the two paintings still share lots of features, not just the name.
对。尽管米勒是现实主义画家,梵高是后印象派画家,这两幅画中有很多共同点,不只是名字。
The most striking shared feature has got to be the amazing light effects.
其中最突出的共同特点就是令人惊叹的光效了。
I am excited to go see it. But one other thing ...
能去看这幅画,我觉得很激动。但还有一件事……
Uh-huh.
嗯。
I was thinking about getting a head start on my next assignment while I am at the gallery in Connecticut, the assignment on miniatures.
我打算提前开始我下一份作业,关于微缩模型的作业,趁我去康涅狄格美术馆的机会。
They have a lot of miniature portraits of children as part of their permanent collection.
那里有很多儿童的微型肖像,是他们的永久藏品。
American miniatures?
美国微缩模型?
Yeah. So I figured I could also get started on that essay, study a few while I am there.
对,所以我想我也能开始写那篇论文了,当我还在那儿的时候做些研究。
I'd focus on the meaning of the objects that some of the children are holding, some are holding flowers, one child has a rattle, another a toy violin…
我打算集中研究某些儿童所拿物品的意义,一些人拿着花,一个小孩拿着拨浪鼓,另一个拿着玩具小提琴……
That would be fine. Uh, those objects ...we call them attributes.
这没问题。这些物品,我们称为象征物。
The attributes chosen to be included in a particular miniature was often meant to communicate parents' hopes and dreams for their child.
人们选择把这些象征物纳入某幅微型作品中,通常是为了传达父母对孩子的期望。
So I think you'll learn a lot about how people viewed children at the time the miniature paintings were done.
所以我认为,你会学到很多关于人们在微型画所在时期对儿童的看法。