Jana: So you mentioned hiking. I think South Africa must have a lot of outdoor activities, right?
嘉娜:你提到了徒步旅行。我想南非一定有很多户外活动,对吧?
Peter: Hmm.
彼得:对。
Jana: Some extreme sports?
嘉娜:极限运动吗?
Peter: Right, right. Yeah, it's, actually for a dry country it's interesting that it has so many water sports, people that really love water sports too especially on the eastern side of the country because it's tropical warm climate year round. The sea temperature is quite warm and at the same time it has a lot of really big waves so I think two of the world's biggest surfing events are held in South Africa yearly. The one is near Jeffreys Bay and the other one is near Durban and that's where all the world's surf champions come to surf and test their skills. But if you're not into surfing you can go wind surfing which actually on the eastern coast is really famous because of the strong winds over there and the relatively, not calm seas, but actually there's a lot of open plains to do wind surfing on so it's really famous for that. And then like skiing and water skiing of course really famous too. People really enjoy the water sports.
彼得:对,没错。一个干旱的国家有很多水上运动,这点很有意思,人们喜欢水上运动,南非东部地区的人们尤其喜欢水上运动,因为南非全年都是热带温暖气候。海水温度非常温暖,而且还有很多巨浪,所以世界两大年度冲浪赛事选在南非举行。其中一个赛事在杰佛瑞湾附近举行,另一个在德班附近举行,届时世界冲浪冠军都会来到这两个地方冲浪,测试他们的技巧。但是如果你不喜欢冲浪,你可以去玩帆板,东海岸的帆板运动很出名,因为那里有强风,海面相对不太平静,不过有很多开阔的地带可以进行帆板运动,那里非常出名。当然那里的滑冰和水上滑冰也很出名。人们非常喜欢水上运动。
Jana: Great. I also heard about diving.
嘉娜:太好了。我还听说过潜水。
Peter: Ah, yeah.
彼得:啊,对。
Jana: Diving in South Africa.
嘉娜:在南非潜水。
Peter: Yeah, that's, one, two interesting things. One is shark cage diving that people are really, have in recent years become interested in.
彼得:对,有两种有趣的潜水。其中之一是近年来越来越受欢迎的潜水观鲨。
Jana: That sounds scary.
嘉娜:听起来好可怕。
Peter: I think it is. One of the, actually the breeding colonies of the great white shark is in South Africa, I think the other one is in Australia, and people come there to go down in big steel cages to go and see some of these huge sharks and they dive with them and I think it's pretty dangerous but it's interesting for some people. Oh, the other thing that's really interesting diving in South Africa, also dangerous, is diving for treasure because of the ancient shipping route from Europe right past the Cape Point, the southern most shipping route in the world. There's a lot of ships that sank because of the terrible weather in centuries past, over the last, I guess, five hundred years ships have sunk around the tip of Africa and people, divers come there to dive and find out if they can get some, if they can get rich basically diving for treasure and you get a lot of historical excavation as well. It's pretty dangerous too because there are two converging sea...
彼得:我想是有点可怕。南非是大白鲨的其中一个繁殖地,另一个繁殖地应该是在澳大利亚,人们去那里潜入一个大铁笼子,观赏大白鲨,他们和鲨鱼一起潜水,我想那非常危险,不过对有些人来说很有意思。南非另外一种非常有意思的潜水也很危险,就是潜水寻宝,因为古代从欧洲出发的航线要经过好望角,那里是世界上航线的最南端。过去几个世纪以来,我想大概是过去500多年来,有很多船只因为恶劣的天气在非洲的南端沉没,潜水者会去那里潜水,寻找宝藏,希望能变得富有,那里也有很多考古挖掘工作。其实那非常危险,因为那是两个海洋汇集……
Jana: Currents.
嘉娜:水流。
Peter: Currents that meet and the one is warm and the one is cold so you have a really interesting combination of natural weather patterns at the same place so I guess a lot of ships sank because of all the storms in that area.
彼得:那是水流汇合的地方,其中一股水流是温暖的,另一股是寒冷的,两种气候模式在同一个地方结合在一起,所以我认为那个地区的风暴是造成大量船只沉没的原因。
Jana: Wow, so treasure diving or wreck diving sounds more fun than shark diving.
嘉娜:哇哦,潜水寻宝和打捞潜水听起来比潜水观鲨更有趣。
Peter: I think so too but it depends on your interest I guess.
彼得:我也是这样认为的,不过这要看你对哪个感兴趣。
译文属可可原创,仅供学习交流使用,未经许可请勿转载