1、expect
预期;预料;期待
a council workman who expects to lose his job in the next few weeks.
预计自己在接下来的几周里会丢掉工作的市政工人
They no longer expect corporate profits to improve.
他们不再期待公司利润会增长。
盼望;期待;等待
I am expecting several important letters but nothing has arrived.
我正在等几封重要的信件,可是一封都没到。
I wasn't expecting a visitor.
我没想到会有人来访。
要求;认为应当得到;指望
He wasn't expecting our hospitality.
他没有指望我们会盛情款待。
I do expect to have some time to myself in the evenings.
我确实希望晚上能有些属于自己的时间。
2、oblige
(形势、规定或法律)强迫,迫使
The storm got worse and worse. Finally, I was obliged to abandon the car and continue on foot.
暴风雨愈发猛烈,我最终不得不弃车步行。
This decree obliges unions to delay strikes.
该法令迫使工会推迟罢工。
施恩惠于;帮…的忙
If you ever need help with the babysitting, I'd be glad to oblige.
如果你什么时候需要找人照看孩子,我很乐意帮忙。
We called up three economists to ask how to eliminate the deficit and they obliged with very straightforward answers.
我们打电话给3位经济学家询问如何消除赤字,他们坦率地给予了答复。
感激不尽;不胜感激
Much obliged for your assistance.
对您的帮助我不胜感激。
Thank you very much indeed, Doctor, I am extremely obliged to you.
大夫,太感谢您了,您真是我的大恩人。