第一,情景对话
A: We received a complaint from a customer saying that you had half a mind in your work.
我们收到一份顾客的投诉,说你在工作中敷衍塞责。
B: It's not my fault. She's just making a big fuss about nothing.
那不是我的错。她只不过是小题太做。
A: We'll have an investigation. But I would remind you that customers are always right. I want you to remember this.
我们会调查此事的。但我要提醒你,顾客永远都是对的。希望你记住这一点。
B: Yes, manager.
是,经理。
第二,词海拾贝
have half a mind
exp. If you say that you have half a mind to do something, you are thinking about doing it or threatening to do it, although you probably will not do it. (半心半意,想去做但是不会去做)
e.g. I was wet and weary and had half a mind to curl up on the hillside and wait for the rescue helicopter.
我浑身湿透,疲惫不堪,真想蜷缩在山坡上等待救援直升机的到来。
e.g. I have half a mind to file a lawsuit against her.
我真想起诉她。
My flight home was so terrible, I have half a mind to write a letter to the airline company and complain.
我回家的航班太糟糕了,我真想给航空公司写封信投诉。
第三,语汇积累
make a fuss:大惊小怪,小题大做
e.g. If you make a fuss it will get into the papers.
你要是惹麻烦,那这件事就要上报了。
e.g. "Quiet, old fellow," cried Edward."Now then, don't make a fuss, quiet!"
爱德华喊到:“安静点,老伙计,别大惊小怪的,安静点。”
make a fuss about nothing:屁大的小事情弄得有声有色,屁大的小事弄得大惊小怪