第一, 情景对话
A: How is Linda getting along with her studies?
琳达的学习怎么样?
B: Very well. Especiall she has a good command of history.
还不错,她的历史成绩尤其突出。
A: Really? I always think history is difficult for children.
是吗?我总以为历史对小孩子来说是不太容易学妁。
B: Yeah. But Linda likes reading, you know, she has read almost all the history books she could lay her hands on.
是的,但是你知道,琳达很喜欢读书,她几乎读完了所有她能弄到手的有关历史方面的书。
A: No wonder.
怪不得呢。
第二, 词海拾贝
lay (one's) hands on
exp. To touch or grasp someone, often with the threat of violence. (以暴力相威胁去触摸或抓住某人)
e.g. Oh, once I lay my hands on you, you'll take back what you said!
噢,一旦我抓住你,你就会收回你说过的话!
e.g. If you lay your hands on me like that again, I'll kill you.
你要是再那么伤害我,我就杀了你。
e.g. If the police can lay hands on the robber, they will put him in prison.
假如警察能抓到抢劫犯,将把他关进监狱。
exp. To acquire something, usually a physical object. (得到)
e.g. I need to go to the library and lay my hands on this book for my research paper.
我得去图书馆,得到这本书拿出来查阅,以便写研究论文。
e.g. It took years, but I've finally laid my hands on this very rare Beatles recording!
我花了几年的时间,终于拿到了这张非常罕见的披头士合唱唱片!
I thought the book was on my shelves but I can't just lay hands on it.
我以为那本书在书架上,可我找不到。
They plundered the village of everything they could lay hands on.
他们从那个村庄抢去了他们能拿走的一切东西。(他们把该村庄洗劫一空)。
第三, 语汇积累
have a good command of:对……熟练掌握,精通……
e.g. We work hard at English so as to have a good command of it .
为了精通英语,我们在学习英语上下苦功夫。
e.g. If you don't have a good command of the course material, then you won't do well on the exam.
如果你没有很好地掌握课程材料,那么你就不会在考试中取得好成绩。
第四, 口语句型
How is somebody getting along with somehting? (某人做某事进展如何?某人做某事怎样呢?)
e.g. How are you getting along with your business?
你的生意如何呢?