第一, 情景对话
A: I feel very miserable.
我简直沮丧极了。
B: What has happened?
怎么了?
A: I made a fool of myself in the presence of my fellow-students.
我在全班同学面前出了洋相。
B: Oh, cheer up. Nobody will laugh at you.
没什么,高兴点,没人会笑你的。
第二, 词海拾贝
make a fool of (someone or oneself)
exp. To do something that makes someone or oneself seem stupid or ridiculous. (出某人的洋相)
e.g. I'm not going to dance too much at the party because I don't want to make a fool of myself in front of my coworkers.
我不想在聚会上跳太多舞,因为我不想在同事面前出丑。
e.g. I know Greg is only trying to impress Lisa, but he's making a fool of himself by telling so many corny jokes.
我知道格雷格只是想给丽莎留下好印象,但他讲了那么多老掉牙的笑话,简直是在出洋相。
e.g. Don't let him make a fool of you like that—say something back!
别让他那样愚弄你——回敬他几句!
e.g. Don't have any more to do with him, he's trying to make a fool of you.
别再跟他更多地打交道,他在捉弄你了。
第三, 语汇积累
1. in the presence of:在……的面前,有……在场
e.g. I feel strange in the presence of strangers.
在陌生人面前,我感到不自在。
e.g. He signed his name in the presence of two witnesses.
他当着两个证人的面鉴了名子。
2. cheer up:高兴起来,使振奋
e.g. Cheer up, man. Things are not as bad as you think.
振作点,老兄。情况没你想的那么严重。
e.g. Cheer up. It'll all come right in the end.
想开些,到头来总会好的。
3. laugh at:笑话……,嘲笑……
e.g. I advise you not to laugh at the official warnings.
我建议你不要不顾官方的警告。
e.g. He thinks he can laugh at me, but I'll settle with him soon.
他以为他嘲笑我之后就算完事了, 我马上就要找他算这笔帐。