情景对话
A: Interesting lectures, aren't they?
演讲很有意思,是吧?
B: Yes, very. I thought the last speaker was especially good.
的,非常有意思。我觉得最后一个演讲者尤为出色。
A: Do you know his name?
你知道他的名字吗?
B: Let me see. It's an unusual name. It's on the tip of my tongue but I just can't get it out.
让我想想,是个挺特别的名字,就在嘴边,可说不出来。
一, 词海拾贝
on the tip of one’s tongue
exp. Almost able to be recalled.(就在嘴边,差一点就想起啦)
e.g. Her name is on the tip of my tongue. Just give me a minute, I'll remember it.
她的名字就在我嘴边上就说不出来,给我一分钟,我会记起来的。
e.g. I had the answer on the tip of my tongue, but couldn't think of it in time.
答案就在我嘴边,但我一时想不起来。
e.g. The word was on the tip of Jo's tongue to ask, but she checked herself in time.
这句话差点给Jo说出来,可她还是及时刹住车了。
e.g. He was glad now that Mrs. Grange had not told him the story that was on the tip of her tongue to tell.
他现在很高兴格兰奇太太当时没有告诉他那件到了嘴边又缩了回去的事。
e.g. I know another idiom, it's on the tip of my tongue but I can't quite say it.
我知道另一个习语,这个习语就在嘴边,可我就是讲不出来。
二, 语汇积累
get something out:勉强地说,困难地说,发表,出版
e.g. she managed to get out a few words of thanks.
她终于勉强地说了几句道歉的话。
e.g Will we get the book out by the end of the year?
我们在年底会出版那本书吗?