Dialogue:
A: John beat me black and blue yesterday.
约翰把我打得鼻青脸肿。
B: Why?
为什么?
A: Because I told the teacher about his cheating in the exam.
因为我告诉老师他考试作弊。
B: He goes too far.
他太过分了。
A: I'm determined to pay him back in his own coin.
我想以牙还牙。
B: You can never do that.
你千万别那么样。
一, 词海拾贝
pay someone back him one’s own coin(以其人之道还治其人之身,以牙还牙)
e.g. He was determined to take revenge; to pay them back in their own coin for the wrongs they had done to him.
他发誓要报复——他们对他做了那么多坏事,他要以其人之道还治其人之身。
e.g Last time I went to see him, he gave me a cool reception. And today I am going to pay him back in the his coin.
他在上次我去看他时,他待我很冷淡,所以我今天要以其人之道还治其人之身。
e.g. My boyfriend always arrives late. Last night I decided to pay him back in his own coin by keeping him waiting for half an hour.
因为我的男朋友约会总是迟到,所以我昨晚决定以牙还牙治他一下,让他等了半小时。
e.g. I told her if she did me any harm I would pay her back in her own coin for tat.
我告诉她如果她伤害我,我会对她以牙还牙的。
二, 语汇积累
1. black and blue :遍体鳞伤的,青一块紫一块的
e.g. He said he'd cowhide me till I was black and blue if I didn't raise some money for him.
他说要是我不弄点钱给他,他就得把我揍得浑身发青发紫。
e.g. The smugglers pounced on him and beat him black and blue.
走私贩们一拥而上,把他打得遍体鳞伤。
2. cheat in the exam:考试作弊
e.g. Geroge cheated in the science exam.
乔治在自然科考试中作弊。
e.g. The professor was angry at John for cheating in the exam.
教授对约翰考试作弊十分气恼。
3. go too far:做得过分
e.g. Don' t go too far in the matter, you may get into trouble if you do.
这件事别做得太过分了,否则你会招来麻烦的。