Dialogue:
A: Pluck up your courage, Mary! The world won't end even if you failed the exam.
鼓起勇气来,玛丽!考试失败并不意味着世界末日的到来。
B: I know. But I just don't know how to talk to my parents.
我知道,可我不知道该怎么跟我父母说。
A: Don't worry, I think they can understand you.
别担心,他们会理解你的。
B: I hope so.
但愿如此。
一, 词海拾贝
pluck one’s courage
exp. To bolster one's courage. (鼓起勇气)
e.g. I'm really nervous about asking Sarah out on a date, but I just need to pluck up my courage and go through with it.
我真的很紧张叫Sarah出去约会,但是我恰恰是需要勇气去做这事情。
e.g. I know he's terrified of speaking in public, so he's plucking up his courage with a stiff drink.
我知道他害怕在大庭广众之下讲话,所以他喝了一大杯酒壮胆。
e.g. You must pluck up courage and have it out with him once and for all!
你必须骨气勇气去和他彻底地说个明白。
e.g. He has been trying for weeks to pluck up the courage to pop the question.
几星期以来,他一直想鼓起勇气求婚。
二, 语汇积累
even if:即使……
e.g. Even if it's true, you still have to look at reality, not throw tantrums.
即使是这样,你也得面对现实,不要乱发脾气。
e.g. But your price is still on the high side even if taking quality into consideration.
就算考虑质量上的因素,你们的价格还是高。
其它:fail the exam:考试不及格