情景对话:
A: I haven't seen you for a long time. What are you doing?
好久不见了,你在干什么?
B: I've been keeping on studying the piano.
我一直在学弹钢琴。
A: How's it going?
学得怎么样?
B: Too bad. I failed the test for degree. So I have to set my jaw to do more practice.
糟透了,我等级考试没过,所以我只好咬紧牙关进行更多的练习。
第一,词海拾贝
set one’s jaw
exp. To be or become resolute and determined (to do something). (下决心对付困难,咬紧牙关)
e.g. The violence of her emotion made her set her jaw, as if were, against giving way.
她的感情之激烈使她咬紧牙关,不愿屈服。
e.g. The snow was blowing in his face but the set her jaw and went on.
大雪扑面而来,但是他咬紧牙关,继续前进。
第二,语汇积累
1. keep on something/doing something:继续做某事
e.g. How am I to work if you keep on chattering?
象你这样絮絮叼叼地没个完,叫我怎么工作下去呢?
e.g. You and I keep on attending to trifles instead of what's important.
咱们两个人只管注意些小事情就算了,不管大事情。
e.g. I'm glad you began at once, and hope you will keep on.
你们立刻开始行动了,我真高兴。希望你们能持之以恒。
2. do some practice:练习
e.g. She went on to do some oral practice after the dictation.
听写完之后, 她又接着练习口语。
e.g. I need to do some Italian practise before my business trip.
我出差以前需要练习一下意大利语。