Suddenly she turned and faced him, her face dark with anger.
突然她转身面对他,愤怒得脸色发黑。
She brandished the watch at him. ‘You don’t understand that there’s somewhere this belongs? Somewhere it works? Somewhere that it fits?’
她冲他挥舞着手表,“你就不明白吗?这东西也有个家!它能在那儿派上用场!它就属于那儿!”
She turned and ran again. She was fit and fleet-footed and Arthur could not remotely keep up with her.
她再次转身跑开。她身体好,脚步又快,阿瑟想跟上她半点希望也没有。
It wasn’t that he had not expected being a father to be this difficult, it was that he hadn’t expected to be a father at all, particularly not suddenly and unexpectedly on an alien planet.
并不是说他没料到做父亲会那么难,问题是他根本没料到自己竟然会当上父亲,尤其又是在外星,而且还这么突然而然,事先毫无征兆。
Random turned to shout at him again. For some reason he stopped each time she did.
兰登又转过身来朝他吼。也不知道为什么,每到这时候他都会停下来。
‘Who do you think I am?’ she demanded angrily. ‘Your upgrade? Who do you think Mum thought I was? Some sort of ticket to the life she didn’t have?’
“你以为我是谁?”她怒气冲冲地问,“你的升级版?你以为妈妈当我是谁?一张车票吗?帮她过一回自己失去的生活?”
‘I don’t know what you mean by that,’ said Arthur, panting and hurting.
“我不知道你这话是什么意思?”阿瑟痛苦地喘着气。
‘You don’t know what anybody means by anything!’
“你不知道任何人的任何话是什么意思!”
‘What do you mean?’
“你什么意思?”
‘Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!’
“闭嘴!闭嘴!闭嘴!”
‘Tell me! Please tell me ! What does she mean by saying the life she didn’t have?’
“告诉我!请你告诉我!她说她失去的生活是什么意思?”
‘She wished she’d stayed on Earth! She wished she hadn’t gone off with that stupid brain-dead fruit gum, Zaphod! She thinks she would have had a different life!’
“她后悔没留在地球上!她后悔跟那个脑瘫的白痴大蠢蛋赞福德走!她以为自己本来可以过上另一种生活!”
‘But,’ said Arthur, ‘she would have been killed! She would have been killed when the world was destroyed!’
“可是,”阿瑟说,“那样她就会死的!地球毁灭的时候她就会死了!”
‘That’s a different life isn’t it?’
“这也是另一种生活不是吗?”
‘That’s…’
“这……”
‘She wouldn’t have had to have me! She hates me!’
“那样她就不必生下我!她恨我!”
‘You can’t mean that! How could anyone possibly, er, I mean…
“你怎么能这样想,怎么能有人,呃,我是说……”