Twenty Four The Assistant's First Day
第二十四课 助手的第一天
"Okay, coach, I'm ready to be at your service!" Chucky said.
"好的,教练,我可以随时听您吩咐!" 查基说。
"Whoa. Chucky, this is basketball practice, not swimming practice," the coach replied.
"哇哦,查基,这是篮球训练,不是游泳训练。" 教练说。
"You have to get shorts that don't look like a bathing suit!"
"你穿的运动短裤不像游泳衣。"
"Sorry, I'm not acquainted with what type of shorts the players wear."
"对不起,我不了解运动员该穿哪种运动短裤。"
"Here. Wear these," the coach said handing another pair of shorts to Chucky .
"好啦,把这个穿上吧。" 教练说,递给查基另外一条短裤。
"And I'll get you another pair for actual basketball games.
"我会给你另外一条真正的篮球比赛穿的短裤。
It's a must that you wear these ones I just gave you to practices only. Got it?"
我给你的短裤只能在训练时穿,这是必须要做到的事情,明白吗?"
"Yep. So who are we getting ready to battle against today?
"明白了,今天我们准备跟谁较量?"
"That's not important!
"跟谁较量并不重要。
Just stay attached to me like glue.
你只要像胶水一样跟着我就行啦。
You're an assistant, okay?
你是一名助手,知道吗?
I give the orders and you follow directions."
我发号施令,你按要求办事。"
"Sure. I was just about to ask you what I'm supposed to actually do.
"没问题,我正准备问你我实际应该做什么呢!
It's still a mysetery to me."
我还真不知道。"
"You'll see," replied the coach with a smile.
"你会知道的。" 教练笑着答道。
Then practice began and Chucky had to take attendance.
接着训练开始了,查基得点一下名。
Only one player had been absent from school that day, so almost everyone was there.
那天只有一名队员缺席,几乎每个人都到了。
Chucky then became absorbed in watching the coach, taking notes running drills with specific players, etc.
查基然后全神贯注地看着教练,记着笔记,和几名队员一起操练,等等。
When Chucky saw that the coach was abundant in knowledge, he quickly became accustomed to being the coach's shadow.
当查基发现教练知识渊博时,他很快习惯了做教练的追随者。
And it was a good first day. Chucky thought that it would be easy to become addicted to coaching. "Well, how was it?" the coach asked.
第一天很不错。查基觉得很容易对辅导别人上瘾。"嗯,你觉得怎么样?" 教练问。
Chucky replied that it was great and that he was sure some of the players were getting better.
查基回答说好极了,并说一些队友有进步。
"That's all in a day's work, son. All in a day's work!"
"这不足为奇,孩子,不足为奇!"