● All: Sit. We see you've served 20 years of a life sentence?
坐下来。你因被判终身监禁已在此二十年?
-Red: Yes, sir.
是的,先生。
-All: You feel you've been rehabilitated?
你改过自新了吗?
-Red: Yes, sir. Absolutely, sir. I mean, I learned my lesson. I can honestly say that I'm a changed man.
是的,绝对有,先生。我是说,我得到了教训。我敢说我已经完全改变了。
rehabilitate: 改造(罪犯等)
Does prison help rehabilitate criminals?
监狱能帮助改造罪犯吗?
● So when Andy Dufresne came to me in 1949...
所以1949年当Andy Dufresne来找我,
And asked me to smuggle Rita Hayworth into the prison for him......
问能否弄张Rita Hayworth的图片进来时,
... I told him, "No problem."
我告诉他没问题。
smuggle: 偷运,走私,私运
He tried to smuggle diamonds into Japan.
他企图把钻石偷运进日本。
He managed to smuggle a message out of prison to his friends.
他设法把音信从监狱偷带给了他的朋友。
● So I'm a rock hound. At least I was in my old life. I'd like to be again.
我喜欢收集石头,至少过去是这样的,我想重操旧业。
hound: 有……嗜好的;人迷
My sister is a movie hound.
我妹妹是个影迷。
● -Heywood: What the hell is it then?
这到底是什么?
-Red: It's a horse apple.
粪球。
-Heywood: Bullshit!
胡扯!(bullshit直译也是“牛粪”)
-Man: No, horseshit.
不,是马粪。
-Red: Petrified.
变干了的。
-Heywood: Damn!
他妈的!
petrify: 僵化,石化
The petrified tree was a book of nature.
树木化石是大自然的历史记录。
She's not dead,she has been Petrified.
她没有死,她只是被石化了.
● -Norton: I almost forgot. I'd hate to deprive you of this. Salvation lies within. (salvation: 拯救,救赎)
差点忘记了,我不能取走它的,救赎之道就在其中。
deprive: 剥夺
We have no right to deprive their life.
我们没有权利去剥夺它们的生命。
The spread of television have considerably deprive us of our time for reading.
电视的普及剥夺了我们相当多的阅读时间。
Shall we deprive them of the right to vote?
是不是剥夺他们的选举权?