场景1
Robert: Where's your family?
罗伯特:您的家人呢?
Francesca: My husband took the kids to the lllinis State Fair for my daughter's Entrance Prize steer.
弗朗西斯卡:我丈夫带着孩子们去了伊利诺伊州集市,我女儿的小公牛要参加决赛。
Robert: How old?
罗伯特:多大了?
Francesca: Oh, a year and half.
弗朗西斯卡:噢,一岁半。
Robert: No, you know, I mean kids.
罗伯特:不,我是问孩子多大。
Francesca: Oh, Michael is 17 and Carolyn is 16.
弗朗西斯卡:哦,迈克尔17岁,卡罗琳16岁。
Robert: It's nice to have kids.
罗伯特:有孩子真幸福。
Francesca: Yea, but they are not kids any more. Things change.
弗朗西斯卡:是啊,可他们不再是小孩子了。事物总会变化的。
Robert: They always do. One the law of nature. Most people are afraid of change, but if you look at it like it's something that can always count on, then it can be a comfort. It doesn't have many things that you can count on.
罗伯特:事物总是会变化的,这是自然法则。大多数人害怕变化,但如果你把它看成是某种你总是可以依赖的东西的话,那它就能成为一种安慰。世上可依赖的东西并不是很少。
Francesca: Ah, I guess I'm one of those people that frightens anything.
弗朗西斯卡:嗯,我想也是,我害怕变化。
Robert: No, I doubt that.
罗伯特:不,我不信。
Francesca: Why did you say that?
弗朗西斯卡:为什么这么说?
Robert: From Italy to lowa, that's a big change.
罗伯特:从意大利到衣阿华,这可是一个不小的变化。
Francesca: No. But Richard was in the army there. I married him when I was living in Naples, I didn't know anything about lowa. I just cared that it was America, and of course, being with Richardson.
弗朗西斯卡:是啊,但理查德当时在那儿服役。在那不勒斯的时候我嫁给了他,我对衣阿华一无所知。我只关心那儿就是美国,当然,还有和理查森在一起。
Robert: What's he like?
罗伯特:他怎么样?
Francesca: He is very clean and.
弗朗西斯卡:他非常干净和……
Robert: Clean?
罗伯特:干净?
Francesca: Yeah, no. I mean (laugh) he is a very hard worker, very caring, honest. He is gentle, he is good father.
弗朗西斯卡:是的,不,我是说(笑)他工作非常勤奋,关心体贴,真诚老实。他很温柔,是个好爸爸。
Robert: Clean?
罗伯特:干净?
Francesca: Yeah.
弗朗西斯卡:是的。
Robert: And you like living in lowa, I guess.
罗伯特:我想你是很喜欢衣阿华的生活。
Francesca: Em, yea.
弗朗西斯卡:嗯,是的。