1、suppose
假定;假设;设想
Suppose someone gave you an egg and asked you to describe exactly what was inside.
假设有人给了你一枚鸡蛋并要你准确描述鸡蛋里面有什么。
Supposing he's right and I do die tomorrow? Maybe I should take out an extra insurance policy.
假设他是对的,我确实明天就会死,那该怎么办?也许我应该再买一份保险。
(根据所知)认为,推断,料想
The policy is perfectly clear and I see no reason to suppose that it isn't working.
这项政策非常清楚明了,我没有理由认为它不会奏效。
I knew very well that the problem was more complex than he supposed.
我很清楚那个问题比他料想的要更复杂。
我看;要我说;我想
I get a bit uptight these days. Hormones, I suppose.
这些天我有点焦躁。我看是荷尔蒙在作怪。
I suppose I'd better do some homework.
我看我最好做做功课。
2、take off
(飞机)起飞
We eventually took off at 11 o'clock and arrived in Venice at 1.30.
我们终于在11点起飞,1:30 到达威尼斯。
(产品、活动、事业等)腾飞,突然成功
They need to expand the number of farmers who are involved if the scheme's going to really take off.
这个方案要想真正成功,他们就需要增加参与的农场主的人数。
In 1944, he met Edith Piaf, and his career took off.
1944 年,他结识了伊迪思·比阿夫,从此他的事业开始腾飞。
(突然)离开,走开,走掉
He took off at once and headed back to the motel.
他立刻离开,回到汽车旅馆。
He took himself off to Mexico.
他突然动身去了墨西哥。