Tess Westin AP.
特丝·威斯汀,助理制片人
Yes.
没错
Gary Cooper.
加里·库柏
Can that really be his name?
他真叫这名字吗
Yes. Desk producer.
没错,后期制片
Tamara Hart AP.
塔玛拉·哈特,助理制片人
I'm on fire.
我无敌了
New neighbors.
新邻居
Okay.
好吧
Morning. Big day.
早安,今天要忙了,
Can I talk to you a second?
能跟你说两句话吗
We've got a rundown meeting. Yeah.
台本讨论会快开始了,知道,
They're very young out there. I know.
这些人很年轻,我知道,
But what they lack in experience
他们的缺点是经验不足
they make up for in inexperience.
优点也是经验不足
Mac... It's an asset.
麦肯,这是好事,
They don't know how to do the news badly yet.
他们还没学会怎么做烂新闻
Or really at all.
是压根什么都不会吧
Some of them will be doing things they haven't done before
有些人虽然是第一次上手
but they'll be supervised.
但会有人带他们的
I want to grow these people
我要好好培养这些人
so you're going to go easy on them.
你对他们态度好点
We talked about this last night
咱们昨晚就说过这件事
and for three hours the night before
前天晚上说了三小时
and again at 4:00 AM this morning.
今早四点又说了一遍
And you're sure you don't wanna lead with the spill?
你确定不要用漏油事件作开场吗
I am. Is that what you wanted to talk about? No.
确定,你就想跟我谈这个吗,不,
I think most people here know that you and I were together a while ago.
我觉得这儿大多数人都知道我们以前交往过
I think so too.
我也这么觉得
I don't want anyone to know why we're not together now. Sure.
我不想他们知道我们分手的原因,好的,
I mean no one. You think I'm gonna talk about it?
谁都不行,你觉得我会到处说吗,
I find it hard to predict what you will and won't do.
我可猜不出你能做出什么事来
I won't be telling anyone.
我不会告诉别人的
As long as we're straight.
咱们可把话说清楚了
We are. No one. Nothing.
很清楚了,谁都不行,什么都别说,
Just to be clear you want me to tell some people
也就是说,你是想让我告诉某些人
but not everyone. Let's go.
但不是所有人,走了,
You're going to have nine minutes with Jan Brewer
你有九分钟的时间采访简·布鲁尔(亚利桑那州州长)
and nine minutes with La Raza.
九分钟采访拉美裔委员会(旨在维护拉美裔群体权益的组织)
I wanna go on record saying we should open with the spill.
我正式提议,用漏油事件作开场
Done. We'll open with the spill?
好的,要用漏油事件作开场吗,
No but you're on record saying you think we should.
不,但你的提议已记录在案
The spill is all anyone's talking about.
漏油事件是人们关注的焦点
Because we're the ones telling them to.
那是因为我们让它成为了焦点
We're still reporting on it just not at the top.
还是要报道的,只不过不是头条
I'm looking at film of an oil rig sinking into the ocean.
石油钻塔沉进海里的画面
That's pretty good television.
多好的节目素材
We don't do good television we do the news.
咱们做的不是好节目,是好新闻
Good morning. Good morning.
早上好,早上好,
And welcome to the first pitch meeting of "News Night" 2.0.
欢迎参加"晚间新闻"2.0的首次选题会
The chaos of the spill is settling down
漏油事件已渐渐平息
and we get to do our first real show.
咱们要开始正式做节目了
11:00 I hear the pitches
11点进行选题
4:00 the show starts to look like the show;
4点节目初步成形
and 6:00 we lock it in.
6点节目正式敲定
I learned everyone's names last night.
我昨晚把大家的名字都记住了
A huge step in the right direction.
大大的进步
We'll be opening tonight with SB 1070
今晚开场报道参议院1070号法案
the Arizona immigration bill
亚利桑那州的移民法案
which Will supports by the way.
威尔很支持这个法案
You all thought he was a closet liberal
大家都以为他私下里是个自由派
when really he's a closet moron.
而实际上他私下里是个白痴
I'm not a closet anything.
我私下里什么都不是
Seriously I know everyone's name.
说真的,我知道所有人的名字
I was up half the night
我花了半个晚上的时间
learning to pronounce Calanasia Zbrezniak.
读会了"卡拉娜西亚·泽布雷西尼亚克"
Cally doesn't work here anymore.
卡莉已经不在这儿干了
Dianastasia Jorma? Nope.
戴安娜塔西亚·约尔玛呢,也不干了,
Mohammed al Mohammed el Mohammed bin Bazir?
穆罕默德·阿尔·穆罕默德·艾尔·穆罕默德·本·巴沙尔呢
Went to Fox. Fox hired
跳槽去福克斯台了,福克斯
someone with three Mohammeds in their name?
竟然雇了个名字里有三个"穆罕默德"的人
But let's give him a hand for effort.
如此努力,大家掌声鼓励
Shut up!
停下
Is your name really Gary Cooper? Yeah.
你名字真叫加里·库珀吗,是的,
What is "News Night" 2.0?
"晚间新闻"2.0是什么
This is... Mac the...
这就是...麦肯,那个
Right. Thank you.
对了,多谢
Before we get to 2.0 I'm supposed to read
进入正题之前,先读一下
something from IT and I don't want to forget.
IT部的通知,免得忘了
"New aliases have been set up for inhouse emails.
"内网电子邮件的代名系统已经建好,
Autocomplete has been enabled on your Outlook."
电邮客户端已支持自动填充功能"
Anybody know what that meant?
有谁知道这是什么意思
Right.
好吧
"Asteriskinterns" * *Or "Asteriskstaff"...
实习生,或者,员工,
an asterisk makes it go to a group.
加星号的邮件发给整个组
No asterisk makes it go to an individual.
不加星号的就只发给个人
Your name is Neelamani Sampat.
你叫尼拉玛尼·桑帕特
Nailed it. Neal's fine.
小菜一碟,叫我尼尔就行,
Can you say it one more time?
再说一遍好吗
Just type an email to someone.
发封邮件试试
Okay I'm sending an email to Will.
好的,我给威尔发封邮件
I'm typing it. I'm still typing it.
打字,继续打字
What are you doing now? Still typing.
现在呢,还在打字,
And I'm sending it.
发送
It's all right. You made two mistakes.
好吧,你犯了两个错误
You used an asterisk and instead of typing W for "Will"
你用了星号,而且把代表"威尔"的"W"
you typed S for "Staff."
错写成了代表"员工"的"S"
They're close together on the keyboard.
这俩键离得太紧了
"Will McAvoy's a closet bigot who hates immigrants
"威尔·麦卡沃伊对移民一肚子的偏见
even though this country was founded by immigrants."
但他的祖国却是由移民建立起来的"
Everybody get the same thing? Yep.
大家都收到了吗,是的,
No one in this newsroom's job is being threatened by an undocumented worker.
那是因为无证劳工抢不了你们的饭碗
Here we go. This is "News Night" 2.0.
进入正题,这就是"晚间新闻"2.0
Sorry!
抱歉
Excuse me Charlie? Yeah.
打扰一下,查理,什么事,
You wanted to see me?
你要见我
A 12 year old kid in Topeka is trying to convince me
托皮卡的一个12岁小毛孩想让我相信
he's got a pair of jacks in the hole.
他手里有两张J
Shouldn't he be in school? He is in school.
他不用上学吗,他在学校呢,
How can I help you? Hang on.
有什么事吗,等一下,
He really did have jacks in the hole.
他还真有两张J
Is there a way I can tell his parents?
我能不能向他家长告状
I'm a little busy. Sure.
我很忙的,我知道,
You know how you have a secret meeting with Will
你每天都和威尔秘密会面
every day to talk about numbers?
讨论收视率吧
I... we don't have a secret meeting. Yeah you do.
我们没有秘密会面,你们有,
You meet with him in private
你私下里找他
and you tell him exactly... I do it at his request.
告诉了他确切的,是他要求的,
It's very instructive. It is.
裨益良多,是的,
It's invaluable. Yeah.
非常难得,对啊,
I want you to stop.
我要你停下来
Don't break down the numbers for him for a little while.
这段时间不要帮他分析数据
Can I ask why?
我能问为什么吗
We're trying something new
我们在尝试新花样
and I don't want him getting cold feet.
我不希望他临阵退缩
He listens to you. He should.
他听你的,他应该的,
But what do you mean you're trying something new?
你说尝试新花样是什么意思
We're going to try doing the news see what happens.
我们在尝试做新闻,看看效果如何
I don't get it.
我不明白
There are two important conversations...
有两件事非常重要
how do we do the best news possible
第一,如何做出最好的新闻
and how do we get the most people to watch?
第二,如何吸引更多的观众
I don't want one of those conversations
我不希望两者之间
to have anything to do with the other...
有任何的牵制
You don't want ratings to drive content.
你不希望由收视率主导内容
Exactly. Neither do I.
正是,我也不想,
I want content to drive ratings. That's the hope.
我希望内容主导收视率,希望如此,
But for the moment I don't want ratings in Will's head at all.
但我暂时不想让威尔考虑收视率问题
I'd be able to tell him you spiked
我可以告诉他
close to 75000 new viewers since you broke your story.
漏油报道后,新增了近七万五千名观众
That's 10% in four days.
四天就涨了10%
In addition to the haul he brought in after he went crazy at Northwestern.
这还没算上"发疯"事件吸引的人数
He didn't go crazy. I'd be able to tell him
他没有发疯,我可以告诉他,
that 32% of those are in the demo...
其中主流消费群体占32%
Reese. and 44% make over 75K
里斯,44%的人年薪超过七万五,
which means we can charge more for 15 and 30s
我们能给1530年龄段的广告加价
and get out of the wheelchairselling business.
然后摆脱老年人生意
And what does he do with that information?
他听了以后,会怎么做呢
He stretches out the spill as long as he can.
尽可能多的报道漏油事件
That's ratings driving content. That's just reality.
这叫收视率主导内容,这叫现实,
Reese. No I need to be able to do my job.
里斯,不,我要尽我的本分,
Just don't break down the numbers for Will.
拜托你不要帮威尔分析数据
We've never gotten along that well have we?
我们从来都谈不拢
Reese don't break down the numbers for Will.
里斯,不要帮威尔分析数据
If I hid in a locked vault buried under the AWM building
就算我躲在公司地下的密室里
Will would find me so I could break down the numbers for him
威尔也会把我找出来帮他分析数据
because Will McAvoy is the biggest ratings whore in the business.
威尔·麦卡沃伊是业界最拿收视率当妈的
I'm not the bad guy. Nobody's the bad guy.
我不是坏人,谁都不是坏人,
Though if you call Will a whore again
但你要是再提威尔他妈
I'm going to take out your teeth one punch at a time.
我会打得你满地找牙,一拳一颗
Anything else? No sir.
还有事吗,没了,
This is a new show and there are new rules.
新节目就有新规则
One "Is this information we need in the voting booth?"
第一,"它是否会影响选民的投票选择"
Two "Is this the best possible form of the argument?"
第二,"它是否能最好地表述论点"
And three "Is the story in historical context?"
第三,"它是否具有历史背景"
You can use a mnemonic device.
你们可以这样记
III, the three Is.
它它它,三个它
That's not really helpful. I was gonna say.
貌似没什么用,我正想说呢,
We're not opening with BP?
不拿英石油开场了吗
It'll go down in the D block. There's nothing new.
挤到第四段去,没啥新进展
How about today's day four
不如说说,都四天了
of the president not saying anything about it?
总统还未对此事作出回应
Would you get off the man's back?
你放他一马行不行啊
Jesus Christ. I'm surprised you found room.
老天爷,我服了你了
Gary Kendra.
这是加里,这是肯德拉
Gary is the smart black guy who's not afraid to criticize Obama.
加里是敢于批判奥巴马的黑人棒小伙
Kendra got double 800s on her SATs makes Gary crazy.
肯德拉SAT双满分,加里不服气
I studied. BP's going in the D block.
我做了功课,英石油放到第四段播,
Jim.
吉姆
SB 1070 passed the Arizona House last week
1070号法案上周由亚利桑那众议院表决通过
and a few days later passed the State Senate.
没过几天,州参议院也表决通过
It's official name is
官方名称是
the Support Our Law Enforcement and Safe Neighborhoods Act.
《支持执法工作和安全社区法》
It requires immigrants carry their alien registration documents at all times
规定移民须时刻携带移民文件
requires police question people if there's reason to suspect
规定警察可以盘查
they're in the United States illegally
疑似非法居留的人员
and it targets those who hire illegal immigrants.
并打击雇佣非法移民的公司
The governor signs the bill today.
州长今日签署了法案
Is it worth mentioning this is the same state that offered a bill
要不要加一条,也正是该州曾通过法案
requiring presidential candidates to show
要求总统候选人提供出生地证明
their birth certificates in order to get on the ballot?
才能列入该州的选票
In a courtroom that would be called "Prejudicial."
在法庭上,这叫做"偏私"
It would be called prejudicial anywhere.
在哪都叫偏见
Nope not that kind of prejudicial.
不,不是那种偏见
We've got the governor for nine minutes.
我们能有九分钟采访州长
Just us. She's only talking to Will. How'd you swing that?
独家,她只跟威尔谈,你怎么做到的,
By telling her about "News Night" 2.0.
我给她介绍了"晚间新闻"2.0
You showed her the easel?
你给她看白板了
I convinced her she's not going to have to outshout a crazy person.
我说服了她,不用跟一疯子比嗓子
That studio is a courtroom
演播室就是法庭
and we only call expert witnesses.
我们只连线专家证人
Will is the attorney for both sides.
威尔兼任双方的律师
He examines the witness and reveals facts.
他调查证人证言,揭露真相
You will be amazed at the guests we'll book
就用这么简单明了的模板,来连线嘉宾
using that unbelievably obvious template.
到时候的效果,你们一定会大吃一惊
You don't have to raise your hand.
不用举手
I saw one of those crazy
昨晚我看到一个狂热的
militia guys on "Jon Stewart" Last night.
国民警卫队员上了乔恩·斯图尔特的节目(《每日秀》节目主持人,讽刺专家)
We could also have him on.
我们可以请他来
Did you hear me when I was speaking just then
你是没听到我刚才说的吗
or were you distracted by a bumblebee?
还是你被大黄蜂分心了
What does the I stand for?
这个"它"表示什么
The...the second I.
第二个"它"
"Is this the best possible form of the argument?"
"它是否能最好地表述论点"
Not the most colorful version
而不是最华丽的版本
not the most outrageous version
也不是最惊人的版本
but the best possible version.
而是最佳的版本
How do you define "Best"? I define it by the source.
怎么定义"最佳"根据消息源,
I define it by the number of relevant facts it contains
根据它包含相关事实的数目
and I define it by an X factor that I trust Will and myself to determine
根据我和威尔加起来五十年经验
using our combined five decades in the field.
总结出来的经验公式
What's the best possible version of the Birther argument?
"出生地怀疑论"的最佳版本是什么
There isn't one. And that's the fourth
不存在,这就引出了第四点
Ah! This one's an A.
啊,这次是个"报"
Are there really two sides to this story?
报道是否真的具有两面性
So it's IIIA.
它它它报
What does that mean are there really...
什么叫作"真的具有"
The media is biased towards success
传媒偏向于成功者
and the media is biased towards fairness.
媒体也偏向于公平
How can you be biased toward fairness?
什么叫"偏向于公平"
There aren't two sides to every story.
不是所有报道都能有两面性
Some stories have five sides some only have one.
有些报道有五个面,有些只有一个
You don't have to raise your hand. I still don't under...
不用举手,我还是不明白,
Biased toward fairness means
"偏向于公平"指的是
that if the entire Congressional Republican Caucus
如果整个国会的共和党议员
were to walk into the House and propose a resolution
全体跑去众议院,要求表决
stating that the earth was flat the "Times" would lead
声明地球是方的,纽约时报的标题会是
with "Democrats and Republicans Can't Agree on Shape of Earth."
"两党未能就地球形状达成一致"
Mac? Would you let them raise their hands?
麦肯,还是让他们举手吧,
Fine. Back to immigration.
好吧,回到移民问题,
Neelamani Sampat. It means "Blue jewel."
尼拉玛尼·桑帕特,意思是"蓝宝石"
I didn't know that. I did. I took the time. I care.
我都不知道,我花心思查的,
Are you asking him out? If he wants me to. I'm nice.
你在约他吗,如果他想,我不介意,
And what are you still doing here? I was asked to help.
你还在这里干嘛,有人请我来帮忙,
Don generously volunteered to help during the transition.
过渡期间,唐自告奋勇来帮忙
He was asked or he volunteered? I'm happy to go.
到底是不是自愿的,我巴不得走,
Apologize. I'm sorry.
道歉,对不起,
To Don. I'm over it.
对唐说,算了,
Neal.
尼尔
There is an alternative weekly in Spokane
斯波坎有一份周刊小报
called the "Pacific Northwest Insider"
《太平洋西北地区内幕》
that published an article about immigration a couple of weeks ago.
几周前发表了一篇关于移民的文章
The story featured a guy named Hector Nunez
讲述了赫克托·努涅斯的故事
who revealed that when he was 16
在他十六岁时
his parents told him that he was living here illegally.
父母告诉他,他其实是非法居留
The paper used his real name?
报纸上登了他的真名吗
Yeah and the state of Washington rescinded
对,文章刊登出来后
his driver's license after the piece came out.
华盛顿州就吊销了他的驾照
He needs his car to get to his job with a small moving company
他需要开车去一家小型搬家公司上班
and to take his kids to school in the morning.
早上还要开车送他孩子上学
I thought we could have him on.
我觉得可以连线他
I've got to budget 42 minutes.
这42分钟要精打细算
I've already spent 18 on Jan Brewer and La Raza.
简·布鲁尔和拉美裔委员会已占掉18分钟
I thought we could put a human face on immigration.
我觉得可以给移民问题增加点同情心
How about putting a human face on the guy whose job he took?
怎么不去同情被他抢了饭碗的人呢
We don't have the time.
没时间
We've got 1070 BP and a Senate candidate
要讲1070法案,英石油,还有那个参议员候选人
who says poor people can pay doctors with chickens.
说穷人可以拿鸡抵医药费(内华达州的共和党候选人苏·劳登)
But even if we did have the time
就算我们有时间
it would be emotionally manipulative.
这也太煽情了
How? We'd be putting him there
怎么煽情了,让他上节目,
so that we can feel sorry for him.
就是为了给他赚取同情
We should feel sorry for him. He's getting screwed.
本来就该同情他,他都这么惨了
You should feel sorry for the guy whose job he took.
你怎么不同情被他抢了饭碗的人
I don't want to feel sorry for anybody.
我不要同情任何人
I want the facts and neither of them can provide facts.
我要的是事实,而这两方都不能展示事实
Somebody's gonna book this kid. Nobody's gonna book him.
总有人会报道他的,不会的,
Nobody's gonna have heard of him.
根本没人知道这码事
It's an alternative weekly in Spokane.
只登在斯波坎的小报上而已
And do you see "What's our competition doing?" On the easel?
再来看看我们白板上的问题,懂了吗
No but I wish I did. Moving on.
没有,我想懂来着,继续,
The Dow has ticked down 108 points
受商务部报告影响
on a surprisingly weak durablegoods orders report
道琼斯指数下挫108点
from the Commerce Department that has raised worries...
该报告显示,耐用品订单大大少于预期
Listen I'm not gonna take it from him in public or private.
不管人前人后,我受不了他这态度
I'm doing you guys a favor. I'm sorry.
我是来帮忙的,不好意思,
I understand. And he knows that.
我知道,他也理解
You're cutting "PopWatch" And "Today on YouTube"?
你要砍掉《潮流前线》和《今日视频》
I am. And I know they're both yours but
对,我知道这两个都是你的节目,但是
I don't care that they're mine.
是谁的节目无所谓
I care that they're the most popular segments on the show.
问题是,这俩是最受欢迎的版块
Look at the minute to minutes.
你看看每分钟的收视率
Feel free to use them when you and Elliot start at 10:00.
你和埃利奥特可以在10点档随意使用
Yeah there's gonna be nobody left at 10:00 if you lead off the night
等大家看完《威尔·麦卡沃伊说教秀》
with the "Will McAvoy Makes You Eat Your Vegetables Hour."
不换台才奇怪呢
Forget it.
算了
Maggie. Yeah.
玛姬,干嘛,
Mac wants me to supervise your preinterview with Brewer's office.
麦肯让我带着你预采访一下布鲁尔办公室
I was told. All right
我知道,好,
you're gonna be talking to a spokesperson.
你找她的发言人就好
I'll call him now.
我现在就打给他
I thought maybe we could do a practice run first.
我觉得应该先排练一下
Okay I'd like to say with all respect
你看,我没别的意思
that I don't feel I need to be supervised.
但我不需要别人带
Okay. You'll let me do it by myself?
好吧,你让我一个人来吗,
No I just meant okay I heard you say that.
不行,我只是说,好,我听见你说话了
I've been here a year. You've been here three days.
我来这一年了,你才来了三天
Mac's working with a group of
麦肯现在周围的同事
relatively inexperienced people she doesn't know.
都相对经验不足,而且她也不了解
I know that. All right.
我知道,好吧,
So you'll let me do it myself? No.
让我自己来吗,不行,
Then I'm doing this under protest. I'm sorry?
那我就抗议着做,什么意思,
I'm just... I'll be... I'm doing this under protest.
我会,我就抗议着做
What does that look like? It'll be the same.
那是什么状态,跟平时一样,
I'm just lodging an official protest.
但我要表示抗议
With who? My immediate superior I guess.
向谁表示,我的直接上级,
That's me. Well are you writing it down?
不就是我,那你记下来没有,
No. Are you really considering going to 10:00?
不记,你真的打算跳去10点档吗
Don made some compelling arguments. Yeah? What were they?
唐说得很让人心动,是吗,说什么了,
That growing something from scratch is something I should experience.
从头做起的机会难得,我应该加入
Okay. Whoa whoa wait.
好吧,等一下,
What did that mean? Nothing.
你什么意思,没意思,
Really? Yeah.
是吗,是,
I know exactly what you're thinking.
你在想什么我清楚得很
I can't say the same.
你在想什么我就不清楚了
You don't think I'm making a relationship choice? No.
你没觉得我是夫唱妇随型的吗,没有,
That this is just a temp gig for me
你没觉得我现在只是随便玩玩
until someone puts a ring on it and I can have kids?
一旦戴上戒指,就回家生孩子吗
I wasn't saying... I didn't say any of that.
我没说,我没这个意思
You don't think that I don't have the same commitment to news that you do?
你难道不是没觉得我对新闻的执着远不如你吗
No.
没
I'll be honest... because of the way I phrased those questions
说实话,由于我的提问方式
I wasn't totally clear on what your answers meant.
我不确定你的回答是什么意思
I think that you have the same commitment to the news that I do.
我觉得你跟我一样对新闻很执着
I think kids are great. I used to be one.
有小孩很好,我也是从小孩长大的
And I can't remember the third thing but
还有一点要说啥我忘了,但是
Ring ring. Thank you.
叮,叮,谢谢,
Ring ring. Hi it's Glenn Fisher.
叮,叮,我是格伦·费希尔,
Glenn Fisher? Yes.
格伦·费希尔,对,
That's the spokesperson I'm talking to? Yes.
发言人是格伦·费希尔,对,
I thought it was John Markell.
我还以为是约翰·马克尔
Fisher's a press agent who's doing the preinterview.
费希尔负责预采访
Okay.
好吧
First you go into iNews and you look over the questions
你先上iNews看一看台本
the segment producer put in the rundown.
版块制片人已经列出问题了
Identify yourself and your news agency summarize the segment...
自报家门,介绍一下版块内容
the length whether it's live or not
长度,是否直播
and who we're having on from the other side.
还有我们这边连线的有谁
I'm sorry but don't I first
不好意思,但我不是应该
open my eyes and notice it's a new day?
先睁开眼睛,发现新的一天吗
What are we talking about here? I've done this before.
你想说什么,我不是第一天上班,
Okay. What is this magic box in front of me?
好吧,这个魔盒是什么呀,
Have I done something to you?
我哪里惹你了吗
I swear I was just thinking the exact same thing.
我也在想同样的问题
I have no idea why I'm being mean to you.
我也不知道为什么对你这么凶
Now that you know that do you think you'll stop?
既然你也察觉了,可以别凶了吗
That's the thing... it doesn't feel like it.
问题是,我停不下来
I'm just being honest.
我说实话而已
I can't ask for more than that except rational thought.
实话就够了,能理智就更好
What was that? Nothing.
你说什么,没什么,
Ring ring. Hi it's Glenn Fisher.
叮,叮,我是格伦·费希尔,
Glenn this is Margaret Jordan.
格伦,我是玛格丽特·乔丹
I'm an associate producer at "News Night"
《晚间新闻》的助理制片人
and I'm doing the preinterview for the governor's appearance this evening.
来跟您确认州长上节目的具体事宜
I know Will's gonna wanna ask
威尔会问她
why mean people tend to pour into your state
矬人怎么总扎堆到你们州呢
like it's a bathtub drain.
就跟您那儿有排污口似的
Will's not gonna wanna ask that.
威尔不会问的
I think they're building the fence on the wrong side of the state.
我觉得围墙建错边了
Margaret here in Arizona the government can barely pay
玛格丽特,在我们亚利桑那,本地穷人
for the needs of nativeborn poor as it is...
政府都快供养不起了
welfare education Social Security...
福利,教育,社会安全保障都要花钱
especially when so many households here
况且还有很多家庭
are one or two paychecks away from the poverty line.
挣扎在贫困线附近
You're scapegoating these people.
你这是拿移民当替罪羊
Stop. I just said illegals cost money.
停下,我刚说了,非法居民浪费财政
Ask the followup. Okay.
问跟进问题,好吧,
Ask it.
问啊
My followup Mr. Fisher is this...
费希尔先生,我的跟进问题是
I understand that having undocumented workers living in the US costs money
我能理解让非法劳工居留美国是浪费财政
and it's a problem we have to do something about
这也是亟待解决的一个问题
but shouldn't it be a point of pride for Americans
但有人愿意抛下祖国和亲人,来到美国
that others are willing to uproot their families just to come here?
难道我们美国人不该引以为豪吗
The followup was "How much do they cost?"
你该问的是,开销能有多大
But yes it is a point
但你说的也有理
of pride that people wanna come to America
人们愿意来美国工作是美国之幸
and we value our diverse population in Arizona
我们很看重亚利桑那州的人口多样性
but we just want people to immigrate legally and become citizens.
但我们希望人们能合法移民成为美国公民
And I'm sure that's what's behind the emotion and the vitriol...
我坚信这才是推动法案的动力
Americans hate it when people don't fill out the proper paperwork.
美国人讨厌证件不齐全的人
You can't antagonize the...
你不能攻击...
I'm gonna ask the right questions you dweeb!
我懂得怎么提问,讨厌鬼
And you'll follow up? I'll follow up.
你会跟进吗,我会的,
My point is that whatever side of this you're on
我认为无论你是什么态度
the rhetoric we use to
这些人冒着生命危险
talk about these people who risk their lives
来美国给人摘橙子赚点钱
to have a shot at picking oranges
只为了自己的孩子不至于饿死
so their kids have a shot at not being dead
而我们谈论他们时的口气
makes it sound like we're talking about scraping gum off our shoes.
就像是把他们当成了鞋底的口香糖
These people chose to take a huge risk to become Americans
这些人冒着巨大风险成为美国人
and they deserve a better descriptor than "Illegals."
管他们叫"非法移民"太瞧不起人了
You don't need me. You got this one.
你不需要我了,你可以的
Thank you.
谢谢
Another story making headlines this morning is of course Greece
今天早上的另一头条当属希腊
whose prime minister officially requested activation
希腊总理要求实施
of the EU/IMF bailout package
欧盟和国际货币基金组织的救市计划
lifting the euro from its lowest level of the year
此举使欧元不再继续贬值
and sending commodity prices soaring.
也使得日用品价格飙升
We'll have that and the rest of the day's financial news
详细情况以及其他财经新闻
on "Market WrapUp" At 4:00.
请关注下午四点的"市场简报"
I'm Sloan Sabbith.
我是斯隆·莎碧斯
Let's go out to Diane and Billy on the West Coast
接下来请跟随西海岸的戴安和比利
for Atlantis Hollywood.
收看"亚特兰蒂斯好莱坞报道"
And we're clear.
结束
Hello.
你好
Sloan I'm Mackenzie McHale.
斯隆,我是麦肯兹·麦克黑尔
I know. It's good to meet you. It's nice to meet you.
我知道,幸会,是我的荣幸,
Do you have a minute? Sure. Thanks.
有空吗,当然,谢谢,
You know I was watching you earlier when you were talking about
那会儿我在看你谈及两家公司
two companies...Capital One and um...
第一资本银行,还有...
Baxter. Baxter.
巴克斯特,巴克斯特,
And the prompter said
提词器显示的是
"Both of whom are hinting at good numbers"
两人都暗示自己效绩很好,
and you said "Both of which are hinting at good numbers."
而你说的是,两"家"都暗示自己效绩很好
Was that an accident? No. I didn't write that copy.
是意外吗,不,稿子不是我写的,
I changed it to "Which" because "Whom" is for people.
我说成"家"是因为"人"不能代表公司
Is someone in trouble? No.
有问题吗,没有,
Do you mind coming into my office for a second? Sure.
可以到我办公室去一下吗,可以,
What's the difference between a corporation and a person?
公司和个人有什么区别
Have you ever held a door open for someone? Yes.
你有没有替人把过门,有过,
Did you ask them for money first? No.
那有没有先让他们付钱呢,没有,
That's the difference. That's the right answer.
这就是区别,回答正确,
Am I taking a test? I've asked around and people say
你在考我吗,别人都说,
you don't belong here that you could be making
你不该在这里,你应该去高盛
a lot more money as an analyst at Goldman.
当个分析师,可以赚很多钱
Couldn't you be making a lot more money producing reality television?
你如果做真人秀节目,不也能赚很多钱
I do produce reality television.
我做的就是真人秀
I don't know what to tell you.
我不知道该怎么讲
I like my job.
我热爱这份工作
Do you feel like working longer hours?
那你想每天再多些工作吗
They talked to me about doing a morning show
公司几次让我做一个早间的栏目
a couple of times but I can't do that.
但我做不到
I'm not interested in cooking. I make sandwiches.
我对烹饪不感兴趣,只会做三明治
I get that I don't necessarily look like it but I'm an economist.
我不是花瓶,我是经济学家
Thanks though. Yeah I meant in prime time.
谢了,我指的是黄金时段,
I want to give you five minutes every night
我想每天晚上给你五分钟节目时间
to talk about where we are and how we got here.
报道每日经济
Are you serious?
真的吗
There are people more qualified than I am.
很多人比我更合适
I can put you in touch with
我可以帮你联系
some of the professors that I studied under...
我师从的一些教授
Yeah the thing is they're not going to have your legs.
问题是他们没有你的靓腿
I'm sorry but if I'm going to get people to listen to an economics lesson
不好意思,但如果要吸引观众来上经济课
I've got to find someone who doesn't look like George Bernard Shaw.
我可不能找个像萧伯纳的人
I would not ask you if I didn't think you were qualified.
你若不合适,我也不会找你
You want me to do pole dancing while explaining subprime mortgages?
你是要我边跳钢管舞,边解释次级抵押贷款吗
If you're up to it sure.
你愿意的话,当然可以
All right I get it.
我明白了
We'll start a conversation with Will about our goals
到时我们和威尔谈谈我们的目标
and how we're going to get there. Great.
和具体实施方案,好的,
I think you and I are going to be good friends.
我们肯定会成为好朋友的
I'd like that.
很乐意
Me too. Okay.
我也是,嗯,
I mean it. I don't have any friends.
真的,我没有什么朋友
You know you're...you're new in town so...
你刚到这里,所以...
Yeah. Yeah
嗯
You know you and I have something in common.
我们俩有个共同点
What's that?
什么呢
I had a boyfriend who cheated on me too.
我也有过一个背叛我的男朋友
The week of our wedding.
还就在结婚那周
I don't understand.
我不明白
I know about Will. Yeah. Yeah.
我知道威尔的事,是呀,是呀,
I still don't understand.
我还是不明白
Wait Will didn't cheat on me.
慢着,威尔没有背叛我
I used to deny it too. Will didn't cheat on me.
我以前也不承认,威尔没有背叛我,
Oh okay. Sorry.
好吧,对不起
I can't talk about what happened
我不能说是怎么回事
but I can tell you that Will didn't cheat on me.
但我可以告诉你,威尔没有背叛我
I shouldn't have mentioned anything. Sloan listen to me.
我不该提这事,斯隆,听我讲,
Will didn't cheat on me.
威尔没有背叛我
Yes we were together for two years and we broke up.
没错,我们谈过两年恋爱然后分手了
I can't tell you any more than that
我只能告诉你这些
but he never ever never cheated on me.
但他从来没有背叛过我
Who told you that? Everybody.
谁告诉你的,大家,
That's what people... no no no.
大家以为...不,不
That...that's not what happened.
不是这么回事
You don't have to tell me what happened.
你不必向我解释
I can't tell you what was happened
我不能给你解释
He doesn't want anyone in the office to know. He made me promise.
他不想办公室的人知道,我答应过他
No not because...
不,不是因为...
I can't talk. Ugh!
我不能说
Even though in this situation I think he'd prefer...
就算是现在这样,他也宁愿...
no he really doesn't want the office to know anything.
不,他真的不希望办公室任何人知道
He didn't cheat on me. I should get back to work.
他没有背叛我,我该去工作了,
You need to tell people that.
你要告诉大家
You're enabling an ass.
你是在纵容一个混蛋
He's...whoa.
他...
He's not an ass.
他不是混蛋
Come here.
过来
Will's not an ass. He's the opposite of an ass.
威尔不是混蛋,完全不是
Even if he did cheat on me
就算他真的背叛了我
which he absolutely didn't he's definitely not an ass.
况且他绝对没有,他绝对不是混蛋
Do people think that? You had to have known that.
大家都这么想吗,你应该知道的,
I thought they thought he was gruff but lovable.
我以为大家觉得他脾气不好,但是可爱
No they think he's an ass who cheated on you.
不,大家觉得他是个背叛你的混蛋
That has to be corrected.
这点必须纠正
I have to start the 4:00. Okay okay okay.
我要去做四点的节目了,好,好,
You need to do this...
你得这样...
you need to go from person to person and tell them
你得一个个地告诉大家
that Will is an extraordinary man with a heart the size of a Range Rover
威尔是个大好人,一颗爱心大如路虎
that there's a...a long story that has to do...
这件事很复杂,与我...
a lot to do with me but also other things.
与我有很大关系,也有些其它因素
I can't tell you the story of his life but he's the good guy.
我无法告诉你他的事情,但他是个好人
Will you tell people that? Every chance I get.
你会告诉大家吗,随时随地,
You're not going to right? No I'm not.
你敷衍我呢吧,嗯,
Okay.
好吧
We spiked up 9% overall.
收视率飙升9%
On top of the 7% that came after Northwestern.
不包括西北大学事件后,提升的7%
You played high school football.
你在高中玩过橄榄球
What do you do when you have a lead late in the game?
比赛快完了,你比分领先,你会怎么做
My high school never had to worry about that.
我就读的高中不用关心这个
You protect the lead. Will McAvoy!
当然是保持优势,威尔·麦卡沃伊,
How do you get used to eating lunch at 4:00 in the afternoon?
你怎会习惯下午四点吃午餐
I work from 11:00 to 9:00.
我11点开工,晚9点下班
It's across all demos too.
所有年龄段都有提升呀
Will McAvoy's the place to be for all things BP.
想了解英石油,就找威尔·麦卡沃伊
Hey I need you to tell me right now
你得向我保证
you're not using that as a promo slug.
不拿这句话当宣传语
We're not but Brad groundresearched
不会的,但布拉德在西北那事后
the hell out of this since Northwestern
一直在做基础调查
and the feedback we keep getting especially from 18 to 49s
我们不断收到反馈
is just studded with green flags.
18至49年龄段,形势大好
And this isn't Brad selectivecoding man.
这还是未经布拉德筛选优化的数据
We're talking about an actual
这是观众的真实反应
bona fide audiencedriven response
针对你在西北大学的言论
to Northwestern and the way you handled the breaking news.
以及对突发新闻的处理应对
I don't see them capping the well anytime soon.
我估计短时间内都封不住井
But you're not leading with it. Not tonight.
但你却不拿来开场,今晚不行,
It'll be down in the D block. It sunk this morning.
会挤到第四段去,今早井下沉了,
We got film of a massive offshore drilling rig
我们拿到一段录像,一架大型钻台
sinking into the Gulf of Mexico.
在墨西哥湾沉没
We knew that was gonna happen.
早就料到了
People knew the Titanic was gonna sink when they went to the movie.
人们去看《泰坦尼克号》时,也知道会沉
But it was cool to watch which is why they went to the movie.
但仍会去看,因为很壮观
Partner something's going on here and you gotta tell me what it is.
伙计,到底怎么回事,你得告诉我
Look we're trying to format a new broadcast
我们打算改头换面
that puts a priority on information voters need
着重报道选民真正需要的信息
puts the information in context
全面分析利弊
and then tries to present the best possible versions of competing arguments.
并尝试提炼出最有力的正反论点
Here's what I just heard... we got a hit show
听上去像是,有档热门节目
that just got bigger so now we're trying to fix it.
突然火了起来,这时你却要改版
Listen there's no one here but me and you.
这里没外人,你实话告诉我
Is this something you want or something you got talked into?
这是你的想法,还是有人给你灌输
It's... no it's something I want badly.
是...是我十分想这么去做
I've wanted this since the dawn of time. More than numbers?
想做很久了,比收视率还重要,
Weren't you the one that told me that your audience are your only friends?
你不是说,你只与观众为友吗
I said that after a couple of shots of some kind of varnish remover
那是喝高了随口说的
at a particularly low point in my life.
当时我很低落
That was two weeks ago. It was a very low point.
才没过两周,当时的确是最低点,
I think it was lower than three weeks ago. Will.
比三周前低多了,威尔,
Mackenzie thinks I don't have to sacrifice one for the other.
麦肯兹认为二者可以兼得
Well Mackenzie is the expert on predicting audience trends.
也对,麦肯兹是拿捏观众口味的能手
No wait. She's not Brad is.
不对,她不是,布拉德才是
We're not setting out to lose viewers... No one ever does.
我们没想要失去观众,谁想了,
Just better news for the ones we've got.
只想给现有的观众,做出更好的新闻
All right I'll stop.
好吧,我闭嘴
Listen I still want your advice every day.
我依然想每天听听你的建议
My advice today: go to the conservative websites.
今天的建议是,去看看保守派的网站
I do. You'll see that they like you.
我看的,他们喜欢你,
They think you're a RINO but they like that you don't,
他们不爽你是伪共和党(Republican In Name Only:虽是共和党人,但主张偏向民主党)
take cheap shots at Sarah Palin.
但又赞赏你不拿萨拉·佩林开涮(阿拉斯加州,前任州长,共和党2008年副总统候选人)
Look at the comments section. Yeah I know.
看看评论区,我知道,
Palin made a statement about the spill last night.
佩林昨晚对漏油事件发表了声明
It was ridiculous. Yes it was.
很可笑,没错,
It'll be a joke on every latenight show.
绝对会成为每一档晚间秀的笑柄
She basically wrote Letterman's monologue.
她完全撞到莱特曼的枪口上了(大卫·莱特曼:深夜档脱口秀主持人)
So you want my advice? Yes.
想听我的建议吗,想,
Be the guy that doesn't take a shot at her tonight.
今晚别拿她开涮
Well I won't be taking a shot at her
我不会拿她开涮
but that's because I won't be using her.
那是因为我不想利用她
I'm saying you should use her but not to take a shot...
你应该利用她,但别拿她开涮
No she's a private citizen.
不,她是个普通公民
She doesn't have any qualifications in this area
在这领域她没有任何资历
so it's hard with the new format to justify...
所以新版的节目不可以...
Let me tell you what it looks like when the audience leaves.
我来描述一下,失去观众的过程
I can't jam in a Palin SOT just to give myself
我不能为了不拿她开涮
the opportunity to not take a shot at her.
就随便安插个新闻带进去吧
If I cross that line I'm just saying "Fuck the whole thing."
如果超了这底线,我只能骂脏话了
It looks like this: first you lose the people who just got here.
过程是这样,首先你失去新观众
Then everyone writes that you lost the people that just got here.
人们会报道,你失去了新观众
That makes people think they're not at the cool party anymore.
让老观众觉得自己不够酷了
You ever been at Sardi's on opening night of a Broadway show
你有没有见过百老汇首演当晚
five minutes after word gets out
当人们得知"纽约时报称之为无聊"
that the "Times" Panned it?
五分钟后会发生什么
They leave.
观众都走了
And they never come back ever.
而且再也没回来
And it happens in not much more time
而整个过程所需的时间
than it just took me to describe it.
长不过我说这段话所用的时间
It's conservatives who watch the news on TV.
看电视新闻的都是保守派
Don't pass up an opportunity to remind them why they don't hate you.
别放过任何机会,给他们留下好印象
I really want to give the new format a...
我真的很想试试新版...
Also would you do me a favor and tell Charlie Skinner
另外,麻烦你告诉查理·斯金纳
that you're the one who asked for these meetings?
我俩这会议,是你要求开的
And do you want me to fix you up with someone
另外需要我介绍一个女伴
who'll take your mind off a girl from three years ago?
帮助你忘了困扰三年的女孩吗
No thank you. Palin.
不用,多谢了,佩林,
She's married. Not to fix you up with.
她已婚的,不是介绍给你,
I'm saying use the Palin SOT.
我是说用佩林的新闻带
I know. It's not gonna happen.
不可能的
Mackenzie would cook me and eat me. You're the boss.
麦肯兹会吃了我的,你才是老板,
I'll keep reminding you
我会不断提醒你
of that because I'm not wild about your ex.
因为我对你的前任并不感冒
Hey look her name is Mackenzie or Miss McHale.
叫她麦肯兹,或是麦克黑尔小姐
And she's reported more real news in one day
她在一天里所做的真正的新闻
than I have in my career.
比我一辈子做的还多
Fuck.
该死
Hi. Hello.
嘿,你好,
Jan Brewer just bailed on us for tonight.
简·布鲁尔放了我们的鸽子
What are you talking about? They canceled.
你说什么,他们取消了,
She's going on CNN.
她要上CNN了
Who... uh who's she sending instead?
谁,他们找谁替代
Maggie no one from the governor's office is coming on the show.
玛姬,州长办公室不会派人来了
What happened with the call? Oh God.
你那通电话出了什么问题,上帝,
What happened? This can't be because of the call.
究竟怎么了,不可能是那通电话,
It happened on the call. I swear
是那通电话惹的祸,我发誓,
I kept my personal feelings to myself.
我控制了自己的情绪
I was on the phone with Glenn Fisher
我和格伦·费希尔的电话
and it was really just by the book.
都是按预先说好的来
Okay so the preinterview was going fine...
好吧,电话采访很顺利
Yeah. when all of a sudden...?
对,但突然间,
Things happen Jim okay
天有不测风云,吉姆
that are beyond your supernewsman powers of understanding.
连你这新闻超人也难预料
I wish you had told me
你真该告诉我
that you dated Glenn Fisher in college.
你在大学里,跟格伦·费希尔谈过恋爱
How could you possibly know that?
你怎么会知道
He told me which is what you should have done.
他告诉我的,其实应该由你告诉我
I know but I thought you'd take it away from me.
我知道,但我怕你把任务交给别人
I would have. And that's why I didn't tell you.
我会的,所以我才不告诉你,
You have to tell me. If you've had a relationship...
你得告诉我,如果你和他有关系
It wasn't a relationship! We went out four times.
没有关系,才约会过四次
Maggie.
玛姬
And now he's the press aide to the governor of a state
现在他是州政府的新闻助手
that gave us Barry Goldwater and a football team
这个州出了个巴里·戈德华特(共和党政客,竞选失败,却成就了里根)
that couldn't find the end zone with an OnStar system.
还有一支开着GPS都找不着球门区的球队(红雀队自1947年以来,在职业大联盟中败绩连连)
You're a football fan? No I looked it up.
你是球迷,不,我查出来的,
Also the fourth date didn't count.
而且,第四次约会不能算数
Is the fourth date relevant to the preinterview?
第四次约会和电话采访有关吗
It might be. What happened on the fourth date?
也许,当时发生了什么,
We went back to his dorm room
我们回到了他的宿舍
we started making out a little.
开始亲热起来
And then there was a crazy banging on the door.
然后有人一阵乱敲门
It was his exgirlfriend and she was shouting
她的前女友在门外大叫
"I know you've got some slut in there!"
"我知道你在里面藏了贱人"
I think she meant me. Yeah.
指的是我,是
And Glenn said "Get under the bed."
格伦让我躲到床底下
Not the closet?
不躲衣柜
No room in the closet. It's a dorm.
没地方放衣柜,宿舍很小
So I got under the bed and he let his exgirlfriend in
我爬进了床底,他让前女友进来
and the two of them patched things up.
然后他俩就破镜重圆了
With you under the bed. Yeah.
而你还在床底下,没错
When you say they patched things up...
你说的破镜重圆是指...
Yeah. You're saying...
是的,你指的是...
Oh my God. They did it Jim! Okay?
神哪,他们滚床单了,行了吧
They settled their differences.
他俩解决了分歧
And it didn't take very long because as it turns out
解决得很快,因为事实上
Glenn doesn't take very long. Compared to who?
格伦不需要很久,和谁相比,
Compared to... other people
和...其他人相比
and what I've read about in the movies.
以及电影里的人物
It doesn't matter. Five minutes?
这不重要,有五分钟吗,
I didn't have a stopwatch on him
我没给他掐时间
but I know it was under two minutes
但我知道,一定在两分钟之内
because I was holding my breath.
因为我全程一直是屏住呼吸的
Is this important? I don't know what's important yet.
这很重要吗,我也不知道重不重要,
That's why I'm listening to this story.
所以我才仔细听你的故事
They finished they left.
他俩完事以后就走了
I waited a minute and then I left.
我等了一会儿,然后我也走了
Fast forward to the call.
快进到打电话的部分
He says the governor would
他说州长想提一提
also like to talk about Arizona doing well
奥巴马的"力争上流"教改
on Obama's Race to the Finish initiative.
在亚利桑那州的实施效果很好
And you say to Glenn...?
然后你对格伦说...
"How appropriate for you."
"你真能占便宜"
Good one. Thank you.
问得好,谢谢,
You said you didn't inject any of your personal opinions
你说你没有掺杂任何个人观点
About the bill.I didn't inject any personal opinions about the bill.
没错,我对于这法案没有表达任何个人观点
Okay first of all the initiative is called Race to the Top
首先,法案的名字是"力争上游"
not Race to the Finish.
不是"力争上流"
I know. That's why I was so sure God was on my side...
我知道,所以我才以为上帝在帮我
because he teed me up so perfectly.
他这么将就我
And second why didn't he why didn't he get her out of the room?
其次,他为什么不跟女友出去谈
It was two in the morning. What was he gonna say?
当时是凌晨两点,你要他怎么说
"Why don't we go somewhere private and talk"?
"我们去找个地方私下聊聊吧"
They were in his dorm room.
当时可是在他的寝室里啊
He was stuck.There were no options.
他被困在那儿了,别无选择
You had an option.
你有选择啊
You could have not hidden under the bed.
你可以选择不躲在床底下
I made a quick decision.
我是匆忙之下做的决定
It may have been the wrong one...
也许我的选择并不对
"It may have been"
"也许不对"?
But once I made it I had to commit to it.
可决定了,就必须坚持下去
And I will tell you something else.
而且我告诉你
He waited this long to tell us he was bailing on purpose
他是故意等这么久才告诉我们
so we'd get slammed on getting a replacement.
为了让我们来不及换人
Do you think? Are you being sarcastic?
是吗,你这是反问吗,
Because yes I'm pretty sure he did this on purpose.
没错,我敢肯定他是故意的
We've got less than 90 minutes to find someone
我们现在得在不到90分钟的时间里
to defend SB 1070
找人来给1070法案辩护
and get them to a studio.
还得准时把他弄进一间演播室
But after the show a bunch of us are going over
但是节目结束以后呢,我们可以
to the Emerald City to see the Wizard...
一起去翡翠城找Oz巫师
and maybe he can give you some... My brain is fine.
说不定他能给你点,我脑子没病,
You give me the SATs right now and I'll take them.
去给我弄SAT考题来,我现场做给你看
Maybe he'll give you some courage is what I was going to say.
我只是想说,他可以给你一点勇气
Please!
拜托了
Tell me what to do.
我该怎么办
Grab some bookers whoever's free
找几个统筹,有空的都找来
and come into the conference room.
去会议室集合
This is an emergency now. We'll be right there.
情况紧急,马上就来,
Maggie.
玛姬
I don't know anyone in the world
我想不出这世上有任何人
who would have hidden under the bed.
会选择躲在床底下
Martin Tamara Kendra
马丁,塔玛拉,肯德拉
I need some help.
过来帮我
What do you need? No I can... it's no big deal.
怎么了,没事,小事一桩,
I just need...
我只是...
Kendra Tamara Martin!
肯德拉,塔玛拉,马丁
Everything all right? I can fix it.
没事吧,我能搞定,
Okay.
好吧
What?!
什么
What the hell is going on? We lost Jan Brewer.
你们在搞什么鬼,简·布鲁尔不来了,
What? God!
什么,天哪
Get someone else from Brewer's office.
从布鲁尔办公室找个人来
No we've lost the whole office. What?
整个办公室都来不了,什么,
No one from Brewer's office is gonna be coming.
布鲁尔办公室的人都不会来的
What the hell happened?
到底发生什么了
This is my fault. Look I got into a stupid argument
这都是我的错,我脑子抽风,
with a press aide on the phone
跟她的新闻助手在电话里吵了一架
and now he's giving the governor's office
他为了报复我
to everybody but us so he can stick it to me.
州长办公室不会有人来了
Are you freaking kidding me?
你开什么国际玩笑
No wait. Mac...
不,等等,麦肯...
No. That is what happened.
事情就是这样
Day side's been running Jan Brewer promos for the last six hours.
日间组花了整整六小时来宣传简·布鲁尔
Who's replacing her?
我们找谁来顶她
Well we're obviously late to the buffet
显然现在时间不够了
so we basically had to book people who were close to a satellite dish.
只能谁离卫星近,就找谁了
Oh boy. Dr. Dwayne Sotter.
老天哪,德韦恩·索特博士,
He's an adjunct professor at the University of Phoenix.
他是凤凰城大学的兼职教授
The University of Phoenix is an online university.
凤凰城大学是一所网络授课大学
It's not in Arizona.
不算在亚利桑那州
But you can understand our mistake right? No.
但你能理解我们的错误对吧,不能,
He's written several books on immigration policy.
他写过好几本关于移民政策方面的着作
Have I heard of any of them? They were selfpublished.
我听过这些书吗,都是个人出版物,
"This Land is My Land" "Ambushed"
《这是我的土地》《遭遇埋伏》
and "Don't Make Me Press One for English in My Own Country."
《别让我在自己的国家里按1选择英语》
That is quite a sacrifice. Tamara.
等级差太多了,塔玛拉,
We've got a former Miss Oklahoma
我们联系到了一位前俄克拉荷马小姐
who was second runnerup in the Miss USA Pageant this year.
她是今年美国小姐比赛的季军
She claims she was denied first runnerup
她声称,她没有拿到亚军就是因为
because of an answer she gave regarding illegal immigration.
她在比赛中对非法移民问题的回答
Ah the real victim. Martin.
真正的受害者呀,马丁,
Right the third is Ross Fernholm
第三位是罗斯·费恩赫姆
a former state patrolman who was part...
他曾经是一位巡警,还参与了...
Don't say it.
别说了
of a border control group called the "Citizens Militia."
名为"公民自卫队"的边境管理组织
Is this or isn't this the exact opposite
这些人跟我当初给你们提的要求
of who I asked you to book?
是不是截然相反
God damn it Jim! What the hell were you...
该死,吉姆,你到底在搞什么
This is all... All gonna be fine.
这都是...都能解决
Jim is taking the fall...
吉姆是在为...
For exactly what I'm supposed to take the fall for.
为自己的错误承担责任
I don't know what the hell dance you two are doing.
我不知道你们两个到底是唱的什么戏
Don't book these guys. Scrap the segment.
别请这些家伙来,把这段剪了吧
They'll say we didn't have anyone defending it.
那就没有支持方了
Let's prep them the best we can and
让这些人准备尽量好些
have Will carry them okay?
我让威尔来引导他们
He'll just carry them.
他会引导他们的
I'll go and tell him.
我去跟他说
I should be the one to tell him. Maggie...
应该由我去说,玛姬,
He's gonna fire somebody. God knows he should.
他一定会炒人,他该炒,
He will. He won't.
他会的,他不会,
He won't.
他不会的
Guys he won't.
伙计们,他真的不会
Hang on.
等等
Dome of silence. I have to...
给我安静,我得...
Are people here under the impression that Will is an ass?
你们是不是都认为威尔是个混蛋
Okay you're wrong. You know?
你们错了,你们知道吗
You're just wrong and it's an injustice.
你们都错了,真是不公
He's... he'd throw himself in front of a train for anyone in this...
他愿意为了你们任何人赴汤蹈火
Is Will in his office? He's at that thing uptown.
威尔在吗,他在上城区办事,
I'm sending him an email because I... I can't
我这就给他发邮件,我真的
live with this stupid promise I made.
我没办法再信守这个愚蠢的承诺了
And you know completely wrong information.
你们对他的印象完全是误导
I'm nipping this thing in the bud right now.
我要扼杀掉这个谣言
And "Send."
发送
Will is the best man I've ever...
威尔是我遇到过最好...
What just happened? I got a staff email from you.
发生了什么,你发了封邮件给我,
Me too.
我也收到了
I sent the email to Sloan I mean Will.
我是发给斯隆,不对,威尔
Ah. Oh my God I sent it to Sloan.
天哪,我发到斯隆那儿去了
I think the S in "Sloan" Became "Staff."
我想S是代表全体员工
You used the asterisk.
你还用了星号
No.
不
No no no. No no no no no no no!
惨了惨了,神啊,不要啊啊啊啊啊啊
Everybody listen! Listen to me right now.
大家都听好了,听我说
Oh man.
天呐
That was unusual.
真难得
I want everyone to delete the email you just received.
每个人都把刚收到的邮件删掉
Delete it right now without reading it. Honor system.
不要看邮件,马上删掉,请大家自觉点
And then I need someone to sneak into Will's office
然后找个人,溜进威尔的办公室
and delete the email from his inbox.
从他收件箱里删掉这封邮件
If it's passwordprotected
要是有密码保护
I need you to take a baseball bat and smash...
就找根球棒,砸了...
You told me he was uptown. I guess he came back.
你说他去上城区了,那就是回来了,
We stood in my office... Will.
今早在我办公室,威尔,
this morning and I said under no circumstances
我说了,不论在任何情形下
do I want anyone here to know what happened.
我都不想有人知道这事
And you said yes and yes again.
你说好,还说了两遍
And it... it really...
你当时
it really seemed like you understood.
真的像是明白了我的意思
And then you sent an email... It was a complete...
然后你居然发了封邮件,这完全是,
explaining in some detail what happened.
把这件事细说了出来
Please please let me...
拜托,让我
And then you copied 47 reporters on it.
然后还抄送给了47名记者
Can we go into your office?
我们进你办公室说好吗
You know how sometimes something happens in an instant
你知道有时候事情发生地太快
that's so astonishing you just shut down?
让人震惊到直接懵了
Of course that's
当然,可...
underst... That doesn't fucking happen to me!
可以理...我这人他妈的不会懵,
We need some privacy. Really?!
咱们私下说吧,真的吗,
We're going to go into Will's office
我们这就进办公室
but I want everyone to delete the email.
我希望每个人都把邮件删掉
Mac I think I just accidentally forwarded it to corporate.
麦肯,我好像不小心转发到总公司群邮了
Why is this happening? I was sending an email to you
为什么会这样,我是想发给你的,
but accidently sent it to Sloan Sabbith
但是无意中发给斯隆·莎碧斯
but I either did or didn't type the asterisk
我忘记是不是输了个星号
and it went to staff instead of Sloan.
然后就发给员工而非斯隆了
Why were you sending it at all?
那你干嘛发这封邮件
Because... and here's where I think I'm on firmer ground
因为,我的本意是好的
she thought that you cheated on me
她以为你背叛了我
and that you were an ass which is not true.
觉得你是个混蛋,但事实不是这样
I'm changing minds Will.
我想改变他们对你的看法
I'm changing minds all over the place.
我想改变他们对你的印象
Get in there! Sure.
给我进去,好的,
She thought you cheated on
她以为你背叛了我
me and she told me other people thought so too.
还说其他人都是这么认为的
I couldn't take that
我接受不了
but I do take 100% of the responsibility for what just happened.
但对邮件的事,我愿负全责
Who else would be responsible?
你不负全责还有谁
Arizona prison stats.
亚利桑那监狱数据
Thank you. No one. I'm sorry.
谢谢,只有我,很抱歉,
Don't mention it. That's...
别再提了,那是,
I'm really impressed that you're forgiving me so fast.
你这么快就原谅我,真让我感动
I would have... No what you heard was "Don't mention it.
要是我,不,你理解的是"别提了"
It's no problem. Don't worry about it."
"没关系,不用担心"
What I said was "Don't mention it ever."
而我说的是"永远别再提这事了"
Will... Ever Mac!
威尔,永远,
Hospital costs and health care. How current?
医疗保健花费,多新的,
Fiscal 2009. Thank you.
09年财政数据,多谢,
I understand.
我懂
One more thing.
还有件事
We lost Jan Brewer and had to replace her
简·布鲁尔不来了,代替她上的是
with a crazy professor at a website
一个网校的疯教授
a member of the Citizens Militia
公民自卫队的一位成员
and a former second runnerup in the Miss USA Pageant.
美国小姐选美比赛前季军
It's going to be fine. You'll carry them.
会没事的,你引导他们说就是了
They'll barely have to speak.
他们都不用说什么话
Now you've shut down right?
现在是不是懵了
Who fucked up?
谁搞砸的
Now you know I'm not going to tell you that. Okay.
你知道我不会告诉你的,算了,
What? 98%
什么,98%.
I take 98% of the responsibility not 100%.
我愿意负98%的责任,不是全责
Is that right?
是吗
Listen...
听我说
you were in love from the day you met me
从你见到我那天起你就爱我
and for two years you were the man of any woman's dreams you know?
那两年里,你是每个女人的梦中情人
You'd have these ways of doing things.
你做事总是那么贴心
It doesn't matter.
说这都没用了
I didn't know that I was in love with you too until...
我不知道我也爱着你,直到
You cheated on me with your exboyfriend.
你背叛我,和前男友好上了
That's right! That's what happened.
对,就是这样
I didn't know how I felt about you until I was with him again.
直到和他复合了,我才明白对你的感情
So technically I wasn't cheating on the man I loved
严格来说,我不是背叛了我爱的男人
I was falling in love with the man I loved.
我是爱上了我爱的男人
While cheating on him with your exboyfriend. Yes!
在你背着他和前男友勾搭的时候,对,
But you're missing that technically it wasn't cheating though.
可别忘了严格意义上,这不算背叛
The more important thing is that I fell in love with you.
更重要的是我爱上了你
At the end of a romantic comedy
要是爱情喜剧的结尾
that would make everything okay!
这叫做"成为了一段佳话"
There's something I've always been dying to ask you.
我一直很想问你
Ask anything. Why did you tell me?
问吧,为什么你要告诉我,
Because I wouldn't have been able to live with it.
因为我承受不了这秘密
Now I have to live with it.
可我却得承受
Would you rather I'd have been dishonest? Yes!
你宁愿我瞒着你吗,当然,
Yes I'd very much rather
我宁愿你
you hadn't told me.
没告诉我
Still 98%.
我还是坚持98%的责任
I'm sorry we have to do the final rundown.
打扰一下,临播台本会要开始了
We're coming.
马上就来
The first runnerup wasn't available?
选美亚军来不了吗
seconds to VTR.
录影倒数60秒,60
Are we getting the opening in HD or SD?
片头用高清还是标清
Where's it coming to me? Which router?
从哪发给我,哪个路由
Roll it in from the room.
开始播片头
Tess.
特丝
There's an SOT I want in the D block...
第四段有份新闻带
Sarah Palin's comment on the White House not returning calls from the Dutch
萨拉·佩林指责白宫不回复荷兰
except she calls Holland Norway.
她把荷兰说成挪威了
Find it give it to Jake.
找到带子,交给杰克
Don't run it past Mac. Yes sir.
不要通过麦肯,好的,
Did we go to Afghanistan because you cheated on Will?
我们去阿富汗吃苦,就因为你背叛了威尔吗
Can I get a little privacy?
尊重隐私,懂吗
Not until you learn how to send an email.
你先学会发邮件再说吧
You got invaluable experience. I got shot in the ass.
你学到了宝贵经验,我屁股中枪,
Well be grateful you weren't facing the other direction.
你该庆幸不是前面中枪
30 seconds out.
还有30秒,
I've been cheated on.
我也遭背叛过
One time literally right on top of me.
其中一次,俩人还都在我上位
This happened because of me. No one should get fired.
这都是我的错,别人不该因此被炒
I can resign and it's fine
我可以辞职,没关系的
because Don wants me at 10:00.
唐叫我去做10点新闻
I hope you don't do that.
我希望你不要去
I hope you stay here.
希望你留下来
Good show.
好运
Can you move his BlackBerry off the desk?
能让他把手机移走吗
I can see it in the shot. Will.
摄影机能拍到,威尔,
Can you move your BlackBerry off the desk?
能把手机移走吗
That wouldn't have happened if he'd had one of those rubber protectors.
要是有橡胶套保护,就不会坏了
Does 3 have to change lenses? No we're good.
3号需要换镜头吗,不用
In four three two. Roll VTR.
四,三,二,开始录影
Good evening. I'm Will Mcavoy.
晚上好,我是威尔·麦卡沃伊
Deepwater Horizon continues to spill oil
"深水地平线"已经沉入墨西哥湾
even as it sinks into the Gulf
漏油情形仍在持续
a Republican candidate for Senate in Nevada advocates
一位内华达州参议员共和党候选人提倡
poor people paying doctors with chickens
穷人用鸡来支付医疗费
and Greece activates a $45 billion aid package.
希腊寻求450亿美元的援助计划
But we begin tonight in Arizona
但今晚,我们首先讨论的是
where Governor Jan Brewer today signed into law SB 1070
亚利桑那州长简·布鲁尔今日签署1070号法案
which allows police to ask for documentation
该法案允许警察要求
from anyone suspected of being in the country illegally.
有非法移民嫌疑者提供证明文件
Our coverage begins with Rachel Sachs at the state house in Phoenix. Rachel?
视线转向凤凰城的州众议院,连线蕾切尔·萨克斯
I have no idea if the president even knows
不知道总统是否知道
that an entire Exxon Valdez
每四天就有一艘埃克森·瓦尔迪兹号
is spilling into the Gulf every four days.
泄露到墨西哥湾
Are you really not sure?
你真的不知道吗
Because that would make you dumber than previous estimates.
那你又刷新了脑残的下限
Would the two of you shut up?
你们俩都闭嘴
Sorry. I miss my BlackBerry.
对不起,我想念我的黑莓,
Joining us tonight from Washington is Daniel Mendoza
今晚嘉宾是来自华盛顿的丹尼尔·门多萨
Deputy Director of the National Council of La Raza
拉美裔全国委员会的副会长
the largest Hispanic civil rights organization in the US.
此委员会为全美最大拉美裔民权组织
Good evening Mr. Mendoza.
晚上好,门多萨先生
Thanks for inviting me here to speak to you Will.
感谢你邀请我来,威尔
Let's jump right in. Estimates are that
开门见山,数字显示
illegal immigrants cost Arizonans $2.7 billion a year.
非法移民每年消耗亚利桑那州27亿美元
Is that a problem worth fixing? Of course it is.
这个问题需要解决吗,当然,
But if it's an economic issue
但是从经济方面考虑
you need to consider that deporting 12 million undocumented workers
将1200万无证劳工驱逐出境
will drain 2.5 trillion over the next 10 years from our GDP.
将令未来十年的国内生产总值缩减2.5万亿
Arizona residents overwhelmingly favor spending that money.
亚利桑那居民强烈支持此项开支
Back in two minutes.
两分钟后回来
We don't have 1705. Joey.
没找到1705号带,乔伊,
30 seconds out.
30秒,
We know this next segment's going to be a problem. Really?
下一段将会很棘手,真的吗,
Why do you automatically assume that a hospitality management major
你怎么就认定,学酒店管理的人
won't be able to speak with sophistication about constitutional law?
不能深层探讨宪法问题呢
Make sure everybody knows this is what blowing it looks like.
务必让每个人都明白,搞砸了是什么样
They know.
他们都明白
20 out.
20秒
It's gonna be fine.
不会有问题的
The PhD is cool with illegal immigrants
那个博士并不反对非法移民
as long as they're checked for diseases like smallpox and gayness.
只要他们接受过天花和同性恋病检疫
I'm not sure I gave Will the best form of the argument.
不知道他能不能最好地表述论点
Didn't we cure small... Yes.
天花不是已经...对
15 back.
15秒,
Does the militia guy really want his gun in the shot?
自卫队那家伙非得带着枪不可吗
I asked him that and he said
我问过了,他说
"This isn't a gun it's a rifle.
这不是枪,是来福枪,
And this rifle has a name and her name is Jenny."
还有个名字,叫詹妮
If you keep covering for people I don't know who can do what.
你老是护着他们,他们长不大
I wasn't covering. You've got a crush on this girl.
我没有护着谁,你喜欢这女孩,
You told me to. And no I don't.
是你让我喜欢的,我也没有喜欢她
In three two. Cue Will.
三,二,威尔开始
Welcome back.
欢迎回来
We're discussing Arizona's immigration bill SB 1070
我们正讨论亚利桑那1070号法案
the Support Our Law Enforcement and Safe Neighborhoods Act
《支持执法工作和安全社区法》
which was signed into law today by Governor Jan Brewer.
州长简·布鲁尔今日在法案上签字
Joining me now by satellite
现在与我卫星连线的是
are three strong supporters of the new law:
新法案的三位强力拥护者
Dr. Dwayne Sotter an academic
德韦恩·索特博士
who's written extensively about immigration policy;
他对移民政策有广泛的研究
Ross Fernholm a former Arizona State Patrolman
罗斯·费恩赫姆,前亚利桑那州巡警
who now runs the allvolunteer
正于尤马进行
Independence Border Guards in Yuma;
自愿的边境守卫工作
and Gwen Lalley a junior at the University of New Mexico
以及格温·拉里,新墨西哥大学大三学生
and the second runnerup in last night's Miss USA Pageant
她在昨晚的美国小姐大赛中获得季军
who was asked about this very issue onstage
她在比赛中被问及此法案
and who believes her answer was what kept her from winning.
并且她认为是她的答案导致落选
Thank you all for being here.
欢迎你们的到来
Thank you. Thank you.
谢谢,谢谢,
Will I wanna be very clear...
威尔,我想澄清一下
my answer didn't keep me from winning
我的回答没让我落选
it kept me from being first runnerup.
只是没让我赢得亚军
And we're off. Okay. Ahem.
偏题了,好的,
Dr. Sotter this is your field of expertise
索特博士,这方面你是专家
so let's kick it off with you.
所以请你先来谈谈
What do you say to those who argue that SB 1070
有人认为1070号法案
is just targeting Americans
是基于肤色和民族区分美国人
on the basis of skin color and nationality alone?
你有什么看法
Absolutely Will.
当然了,威尔
What would you say to them?
你会如何回应
I'd say absolutely.
我会说,当然了
The bill does not target religion or Muslims
新法案并没有针对宗教或穆斯林
or homosexuality just illegal Mexicans.
亦或同性恋,仅针对非法墨西哥移民
Well yes but you would also say right
是的,但你会说
that the state legislature has taken great pains
为确保这不会成为一项种族定性法案
to ensure that it isn't a racial profiling law
州立法机关煞费苦心
even going so far as to amend it to include the following language.
甚至对法案进行了修订,加入如下条款
Go 24. "Prosecutors would not investigate complaints
进24号带,检察官不会,
based on race color or national origin."
基于种族,肤色,或原国籍进行审查诉讼
That's right just Mexicans.
是的,只针对墨西哥人
Dr. Sotter... Forgive me Will.
索特博士,对不起,威尔,
Latinos and Latinas.
我是指拉美裔人
And the argument that we don't want to be a country
你还会说,我们不想让国家
that pulls people over and
仅仅根据人的长相
asks for their papers based on how they look?
就拦住他们并要求出示身份证件
Yeah I don't like it any more than you do
是的,我也不想这样
but that wouldn't be the case
但如果不是拉美裔人
if it weren't for the Latinos and Latinas
也不会面临
el "Criminelos" Los "Ilegatos."
刑法指控 (Los "Alegatos."西班牙文应是el "Criminal")
That's not Spanish.
这不是西班牙语
Ahem Gwen let's go to you.
格温,现在换你
You were asked last night about the immigration law
你在昨晚被问及移民法
and you said it was an issue of states' rights.
你说这是州政府的权力
And for that I paid a price.
为这句话我付出了代价
That notwithstanding you raised an interesting issue.
尽管如此,你引出了一个有趣的观点
This law will surely be challenged in the courts on constitutional grounds.
这项法案自然会在宪法层面受到质疑
After all states aren't allowed to create their own foreign policy
毕竟,州政府不被允许建立自己的外交政策
but it sounds like you've got the right answer to that.
我相信,你知道如何回答
Which is...? I'm a survivor and I don't know the word "Quit."
回答是,我是斗士,永不言退,
Probably other words too. Shut it.
你不言的多了,闭嘴,
Ahem states aren't allowed to create their own foreign policy but...?
州政府不被允许建立自己的外交政策,但是?
But this isn't about foreign policy
但问题不在于外交政策
it's about law enforcement.
而是在于执法
Decades of federal inaction have led to a dangerous
联邦政府几十年的不作为让亚利桑那边境
and unstable situation on Arizona's border.
陷入了危险和不稳定的局面
And if the federal government can't
如果联邦政府不能
or won't act to uphold the law
或不会行动起来去维护法律
then it's up to the states
那州政府就该有所作为
to exercise their power and fill that void.
施展他们的权利去填补法律的空白
I'm an American Will not an American't.
我是美国能人,威尔,不是不能人
Let's dump out of it. Ross.
赶紧收尾吧,罗斯,
Yes. No the whole thing dump out of it.
是的,是整段采访收尾,
I'm gonna go ahead and assume
据我看来
that you're a supporter of Second Amendment rights
你应该是第二修正案的支持者(第二修正案:民众拥有并且佩带枪支的权利不容侵犯)
judging by the rifle you've placed in your live shot. Yes sir.
从你身边的来福枪能看得出来,是的,
A frequent argument you hear from gun rights advocates
枪权支持者经常会说
is that we don't need any more new laws;
我们不需要新的法案
what we need is a government to enforce the laws we already have.
只需要政府贯彻现有法律
Couldn't the same be said about immigration policy?
这观点也适用于移民法案吗
Yes sir.
是的(作为支持者,他应该回答"不是")
I'm saying you're a supporter of the new law right?
你是新法案的支持者,对吧
Yes sir. I can't take my eyes off of it.
是的,好精彩啊,
Because?
因为
Because laws that are unwieldy and unenforceable
因为臃肿又不具强制执行力的法律
aren't laws at all.
根本不能称之为法律
I don't follow. Dump out of it.
我不明白,快收尾,
And Mr. McAdoo... McAvoy.
麦克杜先生,是麦克沃伊,
I beg your pardon? Doesn't matter.
你说什么,算了没事,
Why don't we just build a damn wall?
为什么我们不能就建一堵墙
The Chinese built one and you can see it from space.
中国人就建了墙,从太空中都能看见
Are the Chinese better than us? No.
中国人比我们强吗,当然不是,
Although there's an old saying... show me a 15foot wall
俗话说得好,你建堵15英尺高的城墙
and I'll show you a 16foot ladder.
我就能弄个16英尺高的梯子翻进来
Then let's just build a 17foot wall.
那就建堵17英尺高的墙
Hell build it 18 feet. Yes. Yep.
干脆建18英尺得了,说得对,
But you see their point right?
意思你也明白,对吧
Whose point?
谁的意思
The people who build ladders.
造梯子的人
How about we get... I'm sorry okay?
不如我们...对不起,好吗,
I'm sorry. Just dump out of it.
对不起,快收尾结束
Will can I jump in?
威尔,我能插个话吗
She cannot jump in. Jump on in Gwen.
不能让她插话,说吧,格温,
I think we're creating an environment...
我觉得现在的这个环境
where pageant contestants are afraid to speak their minds
使得选美参赛者在重大问题上
when it comes to important questions and whatnot
不敢表露自己的真实想法
and that's not the America I grew up in.
这不是生我养我的美国
You're 20 years old. It is the America you grew up in.
你才20岁,这就是生你养你的国家
Not in Oklahoma.
俄克拉荷马州不是
Especially in Oklahoma.
尤其是俄克拉荷马(该州居民多数价值观传统,政治上保守)
But we're gonna have to leave it there.
今天就只能谈到这里
When we come back Deepwater Horizon
下节提要,英石油"深水地平线"
sinks to the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico.
沉入墨西哥湾底部
I envy it.
让我也沉了吧
...with the White House now getting offers of assistance
目前白宫正寻求海外援助,
from other countries to help plug the gushing well.
以尽快封住油井
What's this new SOT? What's 907?
这新闻带是哪来的,907号是什么
Will gave it to me last minute. What is it?
威尔最后一刻才给我的,什么内容,
It's Sarah Palin on the spill.
萨拉·佩林评论石油泄漏
Former Alaskan governor
前阿拉斯加州州长
and vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin
副总统候选人萨拉·佩林
weighed in earlier today on Fox News.
早前在福克斯有线新闻台发表评论
Go 907.
进907号带(907恰巧是阿拉斯加州区号)
Well then what the federal government should have done
联邦政府早就应该接受
was accept the assistance of foreign countries
外国的援助
of entrepreneurial Americans who have had solutions
以及一些有能力的
that they wanted presented. Who?
美国企业家的援助,哪些人,
They can't even get a phone call returned Bill.
他们甚至都得不到一个电话回复
The Dutch. They are known...
荷兰人
in the Norwegian... they are known for dikes
他们在挪威以开沟排水
and for cleaning up water and for dealing with spills.
和清理石油泄漏着称
They offered to help and yet no they too
他们愿意提供援助
with the proverbial can't even get a phone call back.
连个电话回复都得不到
Okay what she was saying was that...
好吧,她刚才的意思是...
All yours.
看你怎么说
yes okay the Dutch live in Holland
好吧,荷兰人是住在荷兰的
and Norwegians live in Norway.
挪威人是住在挪威的
That's a mistake that... people make that.
这种错误...人们常犯这样的错
And I think Governor Palin was referring
我想佩林州长引用了
to an old fairy tale about a boy...
一个古老神话,讲得是一个男孩
she was saying that people
她的意思是人们愿意
were offering to help and that's great
提供援助,这是好事
and phone calls will be returned.
而且他们终将会得到回复的
William Duncan McAvoy.
威廉·邓肯·麦卡沃伊
I think your parents wanted to make it
你父母想要所有人都知道(意指威尔在节目里过度袒护支持方了)
plainly understood that you are AngloSaxon.
你是盎格鲁撒克逊人
I came up to personally apologize for tonight's show.
我特地过来就今晚的节目向你致歉
The show kind of got away from you a little.
今晚你的节目确实有失水准
It bordered on unprofessional.
的确有点不专业
Here's unprofessional
这是不专业
here's the border and here's professional
右边是有点不专业,再右边是专业
and all the way back here is tonight's show.
一路往左,是今晚的水准
It was my fault. Yeah.
都是我的错,当然
Did you know I got an email
你知道吗
from Mackenzie today saying...
我今天收到一封麦肯兹发来的邮件...
God. Yeah. I forgot you were gonna see that.
老天,我忘了你也看到了
Know how many people work at this company?
你知道这家公司有多少员工吗
Well in the cable news division I guess about 350.
有线台新闻部,大概350人吧
178000.
17万8千人,
Guys who sell jet engines got that email.
卖飞机发动机的人都收到那封邮件了
By the way they also own a tabloid magazine.
对了,他们旗下还经营八卦杂志
I'm inured to it. It happened.
我习惯了,毕竟都发生了
How's gossip gonna be worse?
八卦还能比事实更糟吗
It's been three years.
都已经过去三年了
Time hasn't helped?
时光还没能治愈吗
No.
没
I wish you had told me.
我真希望你早点告诉我
What would you have said?
你知道了又能怎样
I'd have made you feel better.
我能让你好过一点
How?
怎么做
I don't know. I do it all the time.
不知道,我一向有这本事
Get it together down there fast.
赶紧振作起来吧
Got it. One more thing.
明白了,还有一件事,
Your daily private meetings with Reese are over.
你和里斯的每日私人会议到此为止
Charlie I respect you more than anyone I know
查理,虽然你是我最敬重的人
but I'm the one sitting in that chair.
但坐在台上的人是我
Yes you are.
没错
People across America are watching Arizona
举国上下都在关注着亚利桑那州
seeing how we implement this law
关注着我们如何实施这一法律
ready to jump on even the slightest misstep.
哪怕出了一点点闪失我们都将备受责难
Many opponents aren't even waiting for that.
许多竞争对手都等不及了
You need a drink?
要不要去喝一杯
Sure.
好的
There's a karaoke bar down the street we go to.
街角有个卡拉ok吧,我们经常去
Drinks and appetizers are $3 until 9:00.
九点前酒水和小吃都只要3美元
9:15.
已经9点一刻了,
We sent an intern down at 8:55 to order 30 drinks
8点55分时,我们派了个实习生下去
and four platters of tuna jerky.
买了30份酒水和4大盘金枪鱼干
The downside's the karaoke
缺点就是,这是家KTV
but it's the only place nearby that stays open late
不过这是附近唯一打烊晚的地方了
unless you want to go to the theater district.
要不然你就只能去剧院区
I'd have thought the downside would be
我还以为缺点是
the four platters of tuna jerky.
那四大盘金枪鱼干呢
It's an affordable dinner.
这顿晚饭还算实惠
Let's go.
走吧
Are you in or are you out? What?
你做还是不做,什么,
Are you in or are you out?
你做还是不做
Are we doing this then? I don't understand.
我们到底做不做了,我不明白,
Are you mad at me right now?
你反过来生我的气吗
Palin. How did Palin get into the rundown?
佩林,怎么把佩林也扯进新闻了
First of all I'm the EP. Don't slip...
首先,我是制片人,不要...
I'm the managing editor and I don't need your permission...
我是执行总编,我不需要你的许可
Yes you do and you didn't
不,你必须经过我的许可
ask for it 'cause you knew you wouldn't get it.
但你没问,因为你知道我不会同意
I made it clear that this show isn't going to participate
我说得很清楚了,这个节目不应该
in the endless cycle of codependency between Palin...
再相互依存于对佩林的
I know. and insult to injury.
我知道,落井下石,
You twisted yourself into a Windsor knot to save her.
你为了救她,把自己打成了温莎结(政治场合常用的领带结打法)
"I'm sure that what the governor meant
"我想州长的意思是,
was that the Dutch living in Norwegia have good ideas.
住在挪威的荷兰人有好主意
And since she has an intimate knowledge
既然她对所有进出白宫
of all calls going into and out of the White House
的电话记录都了如指掌
she's a credible source on whether the Swedisians
她成了瑞典人是否获得回应
have gotten their message returned."
的可靠来源
First of all the impression uncanny.
首先,模仿太做作
I'm not the one who asked Victoria's Secret
其次,我可没有叫维多利亚的秘密
to do five minutes of economic reporting every night.
每晚播报五分钟的经济新闻
Victoria's Secret has a PhD in economics from Duke
维多利亚的秘密是杜克毕业的经济学博士
and is an adjunct professor at Columbia.
还在哥大当过兼职教授
Are you in or are you out?
你做还是不做
I have to give you credit for thinking you can chew me out
你胆子倒是不小,敢来骂我
on this particular...
尤其是今天
I'll chew you out on any particular day.
我哪天都能把你骂个狗血淋头
And by the way when I say dump out of it dump out of it.
再说一下,我让你收尾,你就得收尾
Reese got in your head.
你是里斯上身了吧
And so you put the almostoneterm governor
你把一个渺无人烟的州,一届任期
of a state where nobody lives on our air.
都没满的州长,放上我们的直播节目
I'm don't believe I'm hearing...
真不敢相信,你居然好意思...
Yes we fucked up on a huge subject
是的,我们搞砸了一个大专题
but ours was a mistake.
但我们那是出了差错
Yours was fear
你是出于恐惧
a need to be loved by strangers and not our show.
渴望陌生人的爱,而不是我们的节目
Be the leader Will.
当个引领者,威尔
Be the moral center of this show.
成为这节目的道德核心
Be the integrity.
做它的脊梁骨
Today's Friday.
今天是周五
By Monday I want to know are you in or are you out?
周一前我要知道你是做还是不做
Does anyone believe I just got...
你们谁信,我刚被...
We want to be the ones to do it.
是我们自己想做
We want to be the ones to do 2.0.
我们想做新闻2.0
We can do this.
我们能做到
Just give me a second.
稍等片刻
How you doing?
你还好吗
I'm doing all right all rings consisted...
我挺好的,在这种戒况
considered.
情况
How much have you had to drink?
你喝了多少
I won't lie to you Don.
我不骗你,唐
Yes? What?
然后呢,什么,
You said "I won't lie to you Don."
你说,"我不骗你,唐"
And then you didn't say anything else.
然后什么也没说
I've had a drink. A whole one?
我喝了一杯酒,一整杯,
Yeah. That's too much for you.
对,你喝太多了,
It is not. Come to 10:00.
才不多,来10点档吧,
I really appreciate your offer
我很感激你的邀请
but I think you're offering it
但我觉得你邀请我
because I'm your girlfriend.
是因为我是你女朋友
What's wrong with that?
那又怎样
You're supposed to say "No I'm not."
你应该说,"不是这样的"
You're just inexperienced. I will coach you up.
你只是没经验,我会训练你的
I want to be a part of
我想成为
what Will and Mackenzie are trying to do.
威尔和麦肯兹的节目的一部分
Will and Mackenzie are gonna fail.
威尔和麦肯兹注定会失败
Jesus Christ what's...
上帝啊,为什...
just because the scenery fell down doesn't mean it's not a good play.
演戏时舞台塌了,不代表戏不好
Yeah I don't know what that meant
我听不懂你说什么
but I'm not talking about tonight.
我指的不是今晚
Nobody's gonna watch a classroom.
没人想受教育
They'll either be bored or infuriated
他们要么会感到无聊,要么会被激怒
and you will bleed viewers.
到时候观众就会流失
And my show with Elliot will get moved to 8:00.
而我和埃利奥特就会被移到8点
And at that point I don't know that i'll be able to help you.
等到那时,我就帮不了你了
It was your fault. Let's break up.
今天的确是你的错,我们分手吧,
What did I do now? You were too supportive.
我又做错什么了,你太支持我了,
Maggie.
玛姬
I feel myself suffocating from your support.
我觉得我要被你的支持窒息了
You want truth or support?
你想要实话还是支持
Did you think I didn't know I fucked up?
你以为我不知道我搞砸了
I've been saying it.
我一直都承认
I have $45000 in student loans to pay off
我还有四万五的学生贷款要付
I spend three weeks' takehome on half a
我花了三周的税后工资
onebedroom apartment the size of a toolshed
只能在豆腐大小的一居室里,租一张床位
and I'm sitting alone at a bar
我独自坐在酒吧里
with a drink that was made an hour ago.
手里拿着一小时前调的酒
A good day is when I have quarters for a dryer.
好日子是,我有零钱用烘干机
A bad day is when I blow a newscast.
坏日子是,我搅乱一场新闻
That's my spectrum.
这就是我的人生
Support is what I wanted right then.
以前的我才需要支持
And I think you're rooting for Will to fail.
而且我觉得你满心希望威尔失败
You just said it would be in your best interest
你都说了,对你有好处
and I know he's not the cuddliest guy in the world
我知道他不是个惹人爱的家伙
but he is trying to do good
但他在努力做好事
and he's risking a lot to do it and you and Reese...
他冒着很大的风险做,但你和里斯
Yeah yeah. Let's break up.
好,好,分手吧
Don't... No don't go like this.
别...不,别就这么走
I'm s... I'm sorry. I said the wrong thing.
我...我很抱歉,我说错话了
Don...
唐...
Oh I'm on fire today.
我今天无敌了
Evening Mr. McAvoy. Good evening Manny.
晚上好,麦卡沃伊先生,晚上好,曼尼,
We know how to live with our neighbors here.
我们知道怎么和邻居相处
What's that? Your show tonight.
什么,你今晚的节目,
I...
我...
You have to do a shot.
你得喝了这杯
I really only drink when I'm scared.
我只有害怕时,才喝酒
I would like to have a word with you
我有话跟你说
right here and right now.
就在此时此地
Yes ma'am.
遵命
Don't "Yes ma'am" me with your sheepish charm.
"遵命"个屁,别给我装小绵羊
Would you like to go someplace private?
咱们去个安静点的地方
I... you covered for me.
我...你掩护了我
Don't worry about it. I wasn't thanking you.
别去想了,我不是在谢你,
You and Don... why do you think I need protecting?
你和唐,你们怎么都觉得我需要保护
You both like the fantasy of a girl in distress?
你们都有英雄情结吗
How about I put you in a cab? I take the subway.
我叫辆车送你回家吧,我坐地铁,
Why do you think I need prot... I don't.
你凭什么觉得我需要保...我不觉得
But I cover for you Mac covers for me
但我罩着你,麦肯罩着我
Will covers for everybody Charlie covers for Will.
威尔罩着大家,查理罩着威尔
How come nobody's yelling at me?
为什么没人来责骂我
You know how bad you screwed up right? Yes.
你明白这次祸闯大了,明白,
Is there anyone who feels worse than you do? No.
此刻有人比你更愧疚吗,没有,
Then I doubt it'll ever happen again.
那我相信,你不会再犯了
Let me give you money for a cab.
我给你钱,打的回家吧
No I have to go to Don's apartment and apologize.
不,我得去找唐道歉
For what? For suggesting he would...
道歉什么,我说他...
you know for asking...
你知道,我说...
I'll think of it on the way.
我会在路上想出来的
We break up I apologize everything's fine.
分手了,我去道歉,一切回复正常
Sounds like a superhealthy relationship.
这种感情真健康
I'd fight for it. I will fight for it.
值得挽救,我会努力挽救的,
And I'll make it work through sheer force of will
我要用坚强的意志力打动唐
just like Mackenzie will with Will
就像麦肯兹用意志力打动威尔
and just like I made the immigration segment work.
就像我做的那段移民新闻
Will and Mackenzie are going to kill each other
威尔和麦肯兹会自相残杀
and the immigration segment was a train wreck.
那段移民新闻,的确烂到家了
You should shut up more than you do.
你应该多闭嘴
Do people tell you that?
有人告诉过你吗
No.
没有
You're being polite.
你只是顺着我说
I still don't know why I'm being mean to you.
我还是不懂为什么我对你这么刻薄
Tess?
特丝
Would you? Yeah.
来一下,好,
Sorry.
抱歉
Hang on all of you.
等一下,你们都听好了
I'm your senior producer.
我是你们的高级制片人
Fuck up again like this I'm gonna get mad.
再搞砸一次,我是会发火的
That's it.
就这样
Take her to Don's place.
把她带到唐那里
That was so awesome. Thank you.
好酷的演讲,谢谢,
Do a shot. No.
喝一杯,不,
Hello? Neal it's Will.
喂,尼尔,我是威尔,
I hope you don't mind my calling so late. No.
抱歉,这么晚还打给你,没事,
I got your number from... you know there's a booklet.
我找到你的号码,我翻了...那个册子
The office directory. Yeah.
办公室号码簿,对,
The guy you found in Spokane
你说的那个斯波坎的人
I want you to get in touch with him
我希望你能联系他
and tell him that you're gonna pay for a cab to take him to and from work.
告诉他,你愿意支付他的上下班出租车钱
He should send you the receipts then give them to me.
让他把发票寄给你,你再交给我
Will...
威尔
come on let me post this on your blog.
拜托,让我发到你的博客上
No. Will...
不,威尔,
Keep my name out of it. Yes sir.
不许提我的名字,遵命,
Is Mackenzie around there?
麦肯兹在么
Yeah.
在
Can you put her on the phone? Sure.
能让她接电话么,好的,
It's... it's Will.
威尔找你
I'm sorry... about everything.
我很抱歉...对所有事
I'm just so sorry.
我真的很抱歉
There's no way I can even... I'm in.
我说不出来有多...我做
What? I'm in. I'll see you on Monday.
什么,我做,周一见,
Are you still gonna worry about the ratings? Yes.
你还会担心收视率么,会,
Still gonna worry about being popular? Yeah.
还会担心是否受欢迎,对,
About being loved by strangers?
还渴望陌生人的爱
Are you gonna keep asking me questions that all mean the same thing?
一样的问题,你要一直问下去吗
Till I get the right answer.
直到我听到正确的答案
I'm in.
我做
There it is.
正确