LESSON 20
第20课
downy
柔和的
firmly
坚定地
staid
稳重的
petals
花瓣
crime
犯罪
A MOMENT TOO LATE
为时已晚
A moment too late, my beautiful bird,
仅只迟了一点,我漂亮的小鸟,
A moment too late are you now;
你只是晚了那么一点点,
The wind has your soft, downy nest disturbed
你悬挂在树枝上柔软温暖的巢,
The nest that you hung on the bough.
已被风吹毁不见。
A moment too late; that string in your bill,
只是迟了一点点,你嘴上的绳线,
Would have fastened it firmly and strong;
本来可以把巢紧紧绑牢;
But see, there it goes, rolling over the hill!
可是你看,它已滚落到山那边!
Oh, you staid a moment too long.
噢,你逗留的时间短一点点多好。
A moment, one moment too late, busy bee;
一点点,忙碌的蜜蜂就迟了一点点,
The honey has dropped from the flower:
花朵上的蜜已经滴落在地;
No use to creep under the petals and see;
现在再也不必爬到花瓣下察看,
It stood ready to drop for an hour.
它在那儿摇摇欲坠足有一小时。
A moment too late; had you sped on your wing,
只是迟了一点点,如果快点扇动翅膀,
The honey would not have been gone;
蜂蜜就不会消失;
Now you see what a very, a very sad thing
你看这事多么令人伤心,
T is to stay a moment too long.
哪怕它再多停留一下子。
Little girl, never be a moment too late,
小宝贝,千万不要迟到,哪怕一点点,
It will soon end in trouble or crime;
瞬间也会招致恶果或麻烦;
Better be an hour early, and stand and wait,
宁可提早一小时站立等候,
Than a moment behind the time.
胜过落后迟到一点点。
If the bird and the bee, little boy, were too late,
男孩,如果小鸟和蜜蜂为时太晚,
Remember, as you play along
记住,当你在上学途中玩耍流连,
On your way to school, with pencil and slate,
带着你的铅笔和小石板
Never stay a moment too long.
千万不要停留太久,哪怕只是一点点。