One day, our little Harry spent the morning with his young playmate, Johnny Crane,
一天,我们的小哈里和他的小伙伴约翰尼.克莱恩玩了一上午。
who lived in a fine house, and on Sundays rode to church in the grandest carriage to be seen in all the country round.
约翰尼住在一栋很高档的房子里,每个礼拜天都坐着全村最气派的马车去教堂。
When Harry returned home, he said, "Mother, Johnny has money in both pockets!"
当哈利回到家,他问道:“妈妈,约翰尼的两个口袋里都装着钱!”
Has he, dear?
是么,亲爱的?
Yes, ma'am; and he says he could get ever so much more if he wanted it.
是的。而且他说如果他想要,还能得到更多更多的钱。
"Well, now, that's very pleasant for him," I returned, cheerfully,
“哦,那么,这对他来说非常好,”我愉快地回答道,
as a reply was plainly expected. "Very pleasant; don't you think so?"
因为显然有人期待有一个回应。“非常好,你不这样认为么?”
Yes, ma'am; only--
是啊,只是——
Only what, Harry?
只是什么,哈里?
Why, he has a big popgun, and a watch, and a hobbyhorse, and lots of things.
为什么,他有好大的玩具枪,手表,木马,还有很多其他的东西。
And Harry looked up at my face with a disconsolate stare.
哈里抬头凝视着我的脸,眼神中充满了惆怅。
Well, my boy, what of that?
我的宝贝,那又怎么样?
"Nothing, mother," and the telltale tears sprang to his eyes, "only I guess we are very poor, aren't we?"
“没什么,妈妈,”他的眼里含着无法掩饰的泪水,“只是我猜咱们家很穷,是不是?”
No, indeed, Harry, we are very far from being poor.
不,事实上,哈里,我们离贫穷还远着呢。
We are not so rich as Mr. Crane's family, if that is what you mean.
不过我们不像克莱恩家那么富有,如果这是你想表达的意思的话。
"O mother!" insisted the little fellow, "I do think we are very poor; anyhow, I am!"
“噢,妈妈!”小家伙坚持说,“我确实认为我们很穷,不管怎么说,我真的这么认为!”
"O Harry!" I exclaimed, reproachfully.
“噢,哈里!”我用责备的口吻大声说道。
"Yes, ma'am I am," he sobbed; I have scarcely anything—I mean anything that's worth money,
“是的,妈妈,我真的这么认为的,”他抽泣着说,我几乎什么都没有——我是说任何值钱的东西,
except things to eat and wear, and I'd have to have them anyway.
除了吃的和穿的,我一定要有那些东西。
"Have to have them?" I echoed, at the same time laying my sewing upon the table,
“一定要有?”我重复道,与此同时将手里正在缝补的东西放在桌上,
so that I might reason with him on that point; "do you not know, my son—"
这样我就可以继续和他理论了。“儿子,难道你不知道——”