The happy farmer and his wife
快乐的农夫和他的妻子
Once upon a time, there was a poor farmer called Fred.
从前,有一个叫弗莱德的贫苦农民。
He and his wife Doris lived in a small, old house.
他和他的妻子多丽丝住在一个破旧的小房子里。
One day, a fairy visited them.
一天,一个仙女来拜访他们。
"Fred, I'd like to give you three wishes." said the fairy.
“弗莱德,我想给你三个愿望。”仙女说。
Fred and Doris smiled at each other and said, "Thank you, but we don't need any wishes."
弗莱德和多丽丝相视一笑说,“谢谢你,但我们不需要任何愿望。”
"I can give you some gold.
“我可以给你一些金子,
Then you won't have to work," said the fairy.
然后你不需要工作了。”仙女说。
"Thank you. We're poor, but we're happy." said Doris.
“谢谢你。我们虽穷,但我们很快乐。”多丽丝说。
"I can give you a big, new house," said the fairy.
“我可以给你一个大的新房子。”仙女说。
"Thank you. Our house is small and old, but it's warm and nice," answered Fred.
“谢谢你。我们的房子虽然又小又旧,但它是既暖和又温馨。”弗莱德回答说。
"I wish you a happy life," said the fairy.
“我希望你们过得幸福快乐。”仙女说。