After I had had lunch at a village pub,
我在一家乡村小酒店吃过午饭后
I looked for my bag.
就找我的提包
I had left it on a chair beside the door
我曾把它放在门边的椅子上
and now it wasn't there!
可这会儿不见了
As I was looking for it, the landlord came in.
当我正在寻找时 酒店老板走了进来
"Did you have a good meal?" he asked.
您吃得好吗 他问
"Yes, thank you," I answered,
很好 谢谢 我回答
"but I can't pay the bill. I haven't got my bag."
但我付不了帐 我的提包没有了
The landlord smiled and immediately went out.
酒店老板笑了笑 马上走了出去
In a few minutes he returned with my bag
一会儿工夫 他拿着我的提包回来了
and gave it back to me.
把它还给了我
"I'm very sorry,"he said.
实在抱歉 他说
"My dog had taken it into the garden.
我的狗把它弄到花园里去了
He often does this!"
他常干这种事