I arrived in London at last.
我终于到了伦敦
The railway station was big,black and dark.
火车站很大 又黑又暗
I did not know the way to my hotel,
我不知道去旅馆的路该怎么走
so I asked a porter.
于是向一个搬运工打听
I not only spoke English very carefully,
我的英语 讲得不但非常认真
but very clearly as well.
而且咬字也非常清楚
The porter, however, could not understand me.
然而搬运工却不明白我的话
I repeated my question several times
我把问话重复了很多遍
and at last he understood.
他终于听懂了
He answered me,
他回答了
but he spoke neither slowly nor clearly.
但他讲得既不慢也不清楚
'I am a foreigner,' I said.
我是个外国人 我说
Then he spoke slowly,
于是他说得慢了
but I could not understand him.
可我还是听不懂
My teacher never spoke English like that!
我的老师从来不那样讲英语
The porter and I looked at each other and smiled.
我和搬运工相视一笑
Then he said something and I understood it.
接着 他说了点什么 这回我听懂了
'You'll soon learn English!' he said.
您会很快学会英语的 他说
I wonder. In England, each person speaks a different language.
我感到奇怪 在英国 人们各自说着一种不同的语言
The English understand each other, but I don't understand them!
英国人之间相互听得懂 可我却不懂他们的话
Do they speak English?
他们说的是英语吗