Dentists always ask questions
牙科医生们总是
when it is impossible for you to answer.
在你无法作出回答的时候向你提出问题
My dentist had just pulled out one of my teeth
我的牙科医生刚刚给我拔掉了一颗牙
and had told me to rest for a while.
叫我休息一会儿
I tried to say something,
我想说点什么
but my mouth was full of cotton wool.
但我嘴里塞满了药棉
He knew I collected match boxes
他知道我收集火柴盒
and asked me whether my collection was growing.
于是问我收藏的火柴盒是否在增加
He then asked me how my brother was
接着他又问我的兄弟近来如何
and whether I liked my new job in London.
问我是否喜欢伦敦的新工作
In answer to these questions
作为对这些问题的回答
I either nodded or made strange noises.
我不是点头 就是发出奇怪的声音
Meanwhile, my tongue was busy searching out the hole where the tooth had been.
与此同时 我的舌头正在忙着寻找刚拔掉的那颗牙的伤口
I suddenly felt very worried, but could not say anything.
我突然非常着急起来 但却什么也说不出来
When the dentist at last removed the cotton wool from my mouth,
当那位牙医最后将药棉从我嘴中取出时
I was able to tell him that he had pulled out the wrong tooth.
我总算有可能告诉他他拔错了牙