An appeal to arms and the God of Hosts, is all that is left us.
对战争和战神的呼吁,是我们所能做的一切。
They tell us that we are weak; unable to cope with so formidable an adversary.
他们告诉我们说,我们是弱小的。无法与如此可怕的对手一较高下。
But when shall we be stronger?
可是,我们什么时候才能变得强大起来呢?
Will it be the next week, or the next year?
是接下来的几个星期还是明年?
Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house?
难道是当我们完全解除武装的时候,以及每家每户的门前都站着一个英国士兵的时候吗?
Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction?
难道我们犹豫不决和无所事事就会强大起来吗?
Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs,
难道我们凭天由命和抱定虚妄的希望,
and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?
直到我们的敌人束缚住我们的手脚,就会获得有效的抵抗手段吗?
We are not weak, if we make a proper use of those means which the God of nature hath placed in our power.
我们并不弱小,唯愿我们能适当运用造物主赋予我们旨在加强我们力量的那些手段。
Three millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty,
三百万人民,为了获得自由的神圣事业而武装起来,
and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us.
我们只要拥有这样一个国家,不管敌人派来什么样的武装力量都无法战胜我们。
Besides, we shall not fight our battles alone.
况且,我们不是一个人在战斗。
There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations; and who will raise up friends to fight our battles for us.
还有主宰着国家命运的上帝,以及那些为了我们奋勇投入战斗的朋友们。