Christopher Columbus
克里斯托弗·哥伦布
Christopher Columbus, where would I be
克里斯托弗·哥伦布啊,
If you had never crossed the sea,
如果你从未漂洋过海,
If you had never thought the earth a ball,
如果你不认为世界是个球体,
If you had never cared to sail at all?
如果你根本没有想过出海,那我会在哪儿呢?
Suppose your small ships made of wood,
假如你的小船用木头造成,
Were not so trusty, strong, and good;
不够可靠、不够坚硬、不够精良;
We should not keep your day each year,
我们就不需要每年都纪念你了,
And I should not be standing here;
而我也不会站在这里;
Perhaps I'd live far, far away
或许,我应该住在遥远的地方,
And never know Columbus Day.
从来就不知道哥伦布纪念日。
My house and every building tall —
我的房子和每个高高的建筑——
The school would not be here at all;
还有我的学校根本就不会在那儿;
Along the street where people go
或许供人们行走的街道
Only strong, strong trees would grow;
只有茁壮成长的树木;
And everywhere on lake and hill
湖上和山上的每个地方
The land would be quite dark and still
土地会很黑、很平静,
With only wigwams on the ground
地上只有棚屋,
And Indian children walking 'round,
只有印第安人的孩子在四处游走,
And not a Stars and Stripes in sight
看不到星条旗的飘扬,
At evening or in morning light!
无论是白天还是晚上!
O dear, I wonder where I'd be
啊,亲爱的克里斯托弗·哥伦布啊,
If you had never crossed the sea,
如果你没有漂洋过海,
Christopher Columbus;
不知道我会在哪儿。
I like it better far this way;
我更喜欢你来到了这里;
I like to live at home and play;
我更喜欢住在家里玩耍;
And so I'll keep Columbus Day!
所以我尊重哥伦布纪念日!
I'm glad you sailed;
我很高兴你远航而来;
I'm glad you knew The earth is round;
我很高兴你知道地球是圆的;
I'm glad the good queen trusted you;
我很高兴善良的王后相信了你;
I'm glad you were so brave and wise and true!
我很高兴你勇敢聪明并且真诚!
Christopher Columbus.
克里斯托弗·哥伦布。