It is a relief to feel that no heart but my own can know the personal regret,
因为只有我自己才知道,在我承担一个对别人更适合而非我自己之所欲的职务时的私自懊恼,
and bitter sorrow over which I have been borne to a position so suitable for others rather than desirable for myself.
和痛苦遗憾,感到这一点也是一种解脱。
The circumstances under which I have been called for a limited period to preside over the destinies of the Republic fill me with a profound sense of responsibility,
我被召唤来在一定期间内负责共和国命运的这一处境使我充满深刻的责任感,
but with nothing like shrinking apprehension.I repair to the post assigned me not as to one sought,
但无任何怯弱的畏惧。但我不是通过自身寻求来履行这任命我的职务,
but in obedience to the unsolicited expression of your will,
而是服从于你们愿望的自发表达,
answerable only for a fearless,faithful,
对之只有以我的无畏、忠诚,
and diligent exercise of my best powers.
和勤勉来行使我的权力才能回报。
I ought to be,and am,truly grateful for the rare manifestation of the nation's confidence;
我应该并已经真正感谢国家对我信任的罕有证明;
but this,so far from lightening my obligations,only adds to their weight.
但这在照亮我的责任之外,也加重了其负荷。
You have summoned me in my weakness;you must sustain me by your strength.
你们已召唤了有缺点的我;你们必须以你们的力量来支持我。
When looking for the fulfillment of reasonable requirements,you will not be unmindful of the great changes which have occurred,
当寻求合理要求的实现时,你们将不会注意已发生的巨大转变。
even within the last quarter of a century,
即使是在过去的二十五年,
and the consequent augmentation and complexity of duties imposed in the administration both of your home and foreign affairs.
以及后来国内和外交事务责任的加重和复杂。
The great objects of our pursuit as people are best to be attained by peace.
作为一个民族我们所追求的伟大目标最好是通过和平手段实现。
and are entirely consistent with the tranquillity and interests of the rest of mankind.
并和其他人民的和平和利益一致。
With the neighboring nations upon our continent we should cultivate kindly and fraternal relations.
我们要与这块大陆的邻国培养友好的兄弟关系。
We can desire nothing in regard to them so much as to see them consolidate their strength and pursue the paths of prosperity and happiness.
我们除了希望看到他们加强自身力量和追求繁荣幸福的路线之外不再对他们有任何欲望。
If in the course of their growth we should open new channels of trade and create additional facilities for friendly intercourse,
在他们成长的道路上我们应该打开新的贸易通道和创立额外的友谊交往设施,
the benefits realized will be equal and mutual.
将实现的利益将是与平和相互的。
Of the complicated European systems of national polity we have heretofore been independent.
在复杂的欧洲各国体系中,我们保持独立。
From their wars,their tumults,and anxieties we have been,happily,almost entirely exempt.
我们可幸地几乎完全地避免了他们的战争、动乱和焦虑。
Whilst these are confined to the nations which gave them existence,
这些只在造成它们的国家的范围之内,
and within their legitimate jurisdiction,they can not affect us except as they appeal to our sympathies in the cause of human freedom and universal advancement.
在他们自己的合法裁定之内,它们不会影响我们,除非他们以人类自由和普遍发展的理由来请求我们。
But the vast interest of commerce are common to all mankind,
但巨大的商业利益为全人类所共有,
and the advantages of trade and international intercourse must always present a noble field for the moral influence of a great people.
而贸易和国际交往的优点必须永远成为一个伟大人民施展道德影响的尊贵场所。
With these views firmly and honestly carried out,we have a right to expect,
当这些观点被坚定而真正的执行,我们有权希望,
and shall under all circumstances require,prompt reciprocity.
并将在所有情况下要求迅速的结果。
The rights which belong to us as a nation are not alone to be regarded,
我们不仅要尊重我们作为一个国家而享有的权利,
but those which pertain to every citizen in his individual capacity,
也要神圣地维护属于每个公民以其自身能力,
at home and abroad,must be sacredly mainatained.
在家乡或是在国外的权利。
So long as he can discern every star in its place upon that ensign,
只要他能看清那旗帜上的每一颗星,
without wealth to purchase for him preferment or title to secure for him place,
即便没有财富来买他所想要的,没有头衔来保证一个住地,
it will be his privilege,and must be his acknowledged right,to stand unabashed even in the presence of princes,
他也将有权力,必须被认可的权力,来挺起胸膛站在即使是王公豪贵面前,
with a proud consciousness that he is himself one of a nation of sovereigns,
并骄傲地意识到他自身是一个主权国家的一员,