【Business notes】
在本章节当中,Malcolm 和 Lee用了一些常用的商务表达,例如:
Malcolm: OK, let’s run with that. I want to see all the figures on my desk though, Lee, Can you get that to me by end of play today.
Lee: Well we haven’t costed every last item yet Malcolm but I can certainly get you the broad brush-stroke figures.
Malcolm: Right. So, Kevin, any more news on the Superkor front? Have they decided to play ball yet?
商务谈判包含很多类似的句子,再比如:
Core Competencies
【Meaning】 What you/your company does well 核心竞争力
We need to focus on our core competencies in order to maintain our edge in the marketplace.
如:我们需要保持我们的核心竞争力,这样才能立足于市场。
Manage Expectations
【Meaning】 Make sure people expect realistic outcomes from a project - e.g. not too much 降低期望值
Make sure that you manage expectations so that they're not disappointed if we can't deliver.
要保证期望值不会太高,这样有问题的时候,你不会失望。
Out of the box
【Meaning】 Don't just come up with the same old obvious solutions, try and be creative when brainstorming ideas. 突破思维定势
It'd be great if you could think out of the box and generate some radical ideas.
如果你可以突破思维定势,有一些创新的想法就更好了。
Take offline
【Meaning】Discuss the point further outside the meeting / at another time. 暂时搁置
I think that's a separate issue, so can you take it offline, please?
我觉得这个问题可以单独拿出来讨论,我们暂时搁一下,你觉得怎么样?
Take ownership
【Meaning】You need to get a grip and be responsible for the piece of work 负责任
I think it's up to you to really take ownership of the piece of work.
我觉得你应该负起整个事件的责任来。
The Big Picture
【Meaning】 The overall situation, e.g. when working on a small aspect of a project it is helpful to remember the project as a whole全局
I think it's important that we remember to look at the big picture.
我觉得我们有必要看一下大局。
Upskill
【Meaning】To improve your marketability and worth to a company by developing your skills 增加技能
During your career, it's important to ensure you continue to upskill.
在你的职业生涯中,不断提升职业本领是很必要的。