In the past few hundred years,
在过去的几百年间
we've taken dogs' infantile features
我们提取了狗狗们孩子气的特性
and emphasised them even further through selective breeding.
并通过选择性繁殖来强化这些特性
We've created hundreds of breeds
我们创造了几百个狗的品种
to fulfill different roles,
满足不同的需求
But some of them have been bred
而有些品种的繁殖
purely for their looks.
仅仅是因为它们的外貌
I think this kind of breeding really tells us a lot
我认为这样的繁殖可以让我们了解很多
about what kind of people we are,
我们人类究竟是怎样的
what it is that we like about dogs.
我们喜欢狗的什么特点
How would you to describe Laddy in one word.
你怎样用一个字来描述兰迪
..Cute.
可爱
Cute, yeah.
是的 可爱
Cute, adorable and funny.
可爱 迷人 有趣
I just look at her and I just smile.
我只是看着她 我就会微笑
She's particularly cute when she's sleeping.
她睡觉的时候 尤其可爱
We all know we find them cute, but what
我们都明白 它们很可爱
is it exactly that makes us respond to dogs so powerfully?
但究竟什么原因让我们对狗的反应如此强烈呢
Psychiatrist, Morton Kringlebach,
精神病学家莫顿·瑞勒有一个观点
has a theory as to why the way dogs look
解释为什么狗的样子
has such a profound impact on us.
对我们有如此深刻的影响
The need to nurture I think is something that is so deep in us
我认为养育生命 是我们人类内心的需求
That we find it very difficult to resist.
这个需求深深影响着我们 难以抗拒