I saw with my grandmother who died at the start of the summer,
我患有老人痴呆症的祖母
she developed Alzheimer's,
在初夏去世了
I think for the last six years of her life,
我觉得她在世的最后六年里
she didn't want to be alive.
她已经不想活着了
She'd recognise you when you walked in, she'd go...
当你走进去时她能认得
and your heart jumped.
你的心就提了起来
You thought "Oh, she knows,"
你想"她认得我"
And then she'd just sort of glaze over and...
但她只是盯着你看了会儿 然后
Yeah, that's heartbreaking.
你就心碎了
And for Alan,
而艾伦
he'd lost his companion and that was the saddest thing.
最悲伤的是失去了老伴
I think that aged him an awful lot.
我觉得那使他衰老了很多
Just how much do our emotions affect the way we age?
我们年老后感情的波动影响有多深
Should we really see frailty and dependence as inevitable?
难道脆弱和依赖不可避免吗
What if what we expect to happen as we age, will happen?
如果我们预测的在年纪大以后都发生了怎么办
What if our thoughts really impact on our bodies?
如果我们的思想真能影响身体呢
This was the basis of a most extraordinary experiment
这是1979年进行的
that took place in 1979.
一项很特别的实验