But tell me,he continued,about your country.
告诉我,他接着说,关于你们国家的情况。
I was delighted to describe recent English history to him,especially some of our most successful wars.
我很高兴地向他描绘最近的英国历史,特别是一些我们最为成功的战争。
But why does one country attack another?he asked.
可是为什么一个国家要攻击另一个国家?他问。
There are many reasons,I replied.A king or his lords may want more land.
有许多理由。我回答,一个国王或119者他的王公想得到更多的土地,
Or there may be a difference of opinion between two countries:for example,whether uniforms should be black,white,red or grey.
或者两个国家意见有分歧,比如说,制服该是黑色、白色、红色还是灰色。
Sometimes we fight because the enemy's too strong,sometimes because he isn't strong enough.
有时候我们打仗是因为敌人太强大,有时候是因为他不够强大。
Sometimes our neighbours want the things we have,or have the things we want,so we both fight until they take ours or give us theirs.
有时候我们的邻居想要我们有的东西,或者是有我们想要的东西,所以我们打仗,直到他们拿走我们的,或者把他们的给我们。
We often attack our best friend,if we want some of his land.
我们经常攻击我们最好的朋友,如果我们想要他的一些领土。
There's always a war somewhere.For this reason,being a soldier is one of the best jobs you can have.
某个地方总会有战争。因此,当个战士是你能得到的最好工作之一。
A soldier,repeated my master.I'm not quite sure what that is.
战士?我的主人重复道,我不太清楚那是什么。
A soldier is a Yahoo who works for his King and country.
战士是为他的国王和国家工作的耶胡。
His orders are to kill as many people as he can,I answered.
给他的命令是尽量杀人。我回答。
People who've never hurt him?asked the Houy.
杀害从来没有伤害他的人?慧骃问。
That's right,I said,pleased that he seemed to understand at last.
对。我说,高兴地看到他似乎终于理解了,
Soldiers have killed thousands of people in recent history.
在最近的历史上战士已经杀死了成千上万的人。
关于《格列佛游记》
格列佛得到消息,有人阴谋指控他犯有严重的叛国罪,只好逃往不来夫斯库——他在那里受到欢迎。