Carlisle was up to bat, Edward catching, when Alice suddenly gasped. My eyes were on Edward, as usual, and I saw his head snap up to look at her. Their eyes met and something flowed between them in an instant. He was at my side before the others could ask Alice what was wrong.
轮到卡莱尔击球,爱德华捕球的时候,爱丽丝忽然喘息起来。像往常一样,我的眼睛始终盯着爱德华,我看见他猛地抬起头,看着她。他们对视着,瞬间用眼神交流着某些事情。在别人还没来得及开口问爱丽丝发生了什么事时,他已经站在了我身边。
"Alice?" Esme's voice was tense.
“爱丽丝?”艾思梅的声音很紧张。
"I didn't see , I couldn't tell," she whispered.
“我看不见——我说不准。”她耳语着。
All the others were gathered by this time.
这时所有人都聚拢了过来。
"What is it, Alice?" Carlisle asked with the calm voice of authority.
“怎么回事,爱丽丝?”卡莱尔用充满威信的冷静的语气问道。
"They were traveling much quicker than I thought. I can see I had the perspective wrong before," she murmured.
“他们移动得比我预计的还要快,我看见我之前的预计出错了。”她低声说着。
Jasper leaned over her, his posture protective. "What changed?" he asked.
贾斯帕向她俯下身去,做出保护性的姿势:“什么情况变了?”他问道。
"They heard us playing, and it changed their path," she said, contrite, as if she felt responsible for whatever had frightened her.
“他们听到我们在打球,于是改变了路线。”她懊悔地说着,就好像她觉得她对某些吓着了她的事情责任重大。
Seven pairs of quick eyes flashed to my face and away.
七双敏捷的眼睛同时瞄向我,随即移开了。
"How soon?" Carlisle said, turning toward Edward.
“还有多久?”卡莱尔说着,转向爱德华。
A look of intense concentration crossed his face.
一种紧绷的全神贯注的神情掠过他的脸。
"Less than five minutes. They're running — they want to play." He scowled.
“不到五分钟。他们在奔跑——他们想加入比赛。”他阴沉着脸说道。
"Can you make it?" Carlisle asked him, his eyes flicking toward me again.
“你能赶上吗?”卡莱尔问他,他的眼睛再次瞥了我一眼。
"No, not carrying —" He cut short. "Besides, the last thing we need is for them to catch the scent and start hunting."
“不能,如果不带着——”他打住了话头。“还有,我们最不需要的事情就是让他们闻到味道然后开始狩猎。”
"How many?" Emmett asked Alice.
“有几个人?”艾美特问爱丽丝。
《暮光之城》
与图书题目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列别具匠心的封面设计则很好地传达出了每本书内在的深远寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅尔指出《暮色》封面上的苹果代表“创世纪” 内善恶树上的禁果。象征贝拉和爱德华之间人类与吸血鬼禁忌的爱恋。在书的开头引用了“创世纪”217页的内容:“只是分别善恶树上的果子,你不可吃,因为你吃的日子必定死。”这同时也代表了贝拉如何分辨善恶——选择是否吃下那颗禁忌的果实,这比喻了选择跟爱德华在一起或远离他。