But carrying out complicated scientific experiments in the middle of hurricane
在飓风里开展复杂的科学实验
creates its own set of unique problems.
会伴随着一些独特的问题
You're coming in at say 10,000 feet,
从三千米的高空飞进来
and you're passing through outer rain bands,
然后穿过外围的雨带
and you're starting to get jostled around a bit in the plane.
飞机开始有一些轻微的颠簸
Then you go through the eye wall.
然后穿过风眼墙
So that’s that doughnut around the eye of a storm
那是包围着风眼的圆筒状云
that's really intense.
其风力非常强
And you’re getting tossed around pretty good.
飞机会被刮得剧烈摇晃
You can lose a few hundred feet of altitude in a few seconds.
能在几秒钟内下降近百米
Pop through that eye wall and it's incredible.
穿过风眼墙 就到了不可思议的地方
You're in what looks like a football stadium.
这里看起来像是个橄榄球场
Maybe the biggest one you've ever seen.
也许是你见过的最大的橄榄球场
But it can be 10, 20, 30 miles across.
可能宽16 32或48公里
And it's... it's very still.
而且这里 风平浪静
It's a very surreal spot in the storm,
经历过之前的狂风
after what you've gone through.
风暴中心像是个梦幻的地方
And you know this is a beast.
你也知道这是一头野兽
But of course, you're only through half the storm.
但当然了 你只穿过了风暴的一半
There's still halfway to go.
还有一半要走