There were plenty of places to pull off the highway and be unobserved. It would be hazardous, but no more than waiting here for certain detection. There would be back roads.
有许多偏僻地方远离公路,不会受人注意。这样做可能要冒风险,但总比在这里坐等受擒要强些。也许有些乡间小路可走,
They could choose an unlikely route to avoid attention.
为掩人耳目,他们可以选择一条不大会有人走的路线。
But there would be other complications ... and now was the time to consider them. Traveling by secondary roads would be difficult unless knowing the terrain.
但还存在其他的一些复杂问题…现在该对那些问题加以考虑了。走偏僻小路必须要熟悉地形才行,
The Croydons did not. Nor was either of them adept at using maps.
克罗伊敦夫妇可不熟悉地形,
And when they stopped for petrol, as they would have to, their speech and manner would betray them, making them conspicuous.
而且他们俩对地图都不怎么在行。另外,行车途中不能不停车加油,停车加油时他们的言谈举止都有可能暴露自己的身分而引起别人注意。
And yet...these were risks which had to be taken.
不过……这些险是非冒不可的。
Or had they?
真的非冒不可吗?
The Duchess faced Ogilvie. How much do you want?
公爵夫人面对着欧吉维。你要多少钱?
The abruptness took him by surprise. Well...I figure you people are pretty well fixed.
这突如其来的问话把他吓了一跳。唔…我想你们家是非常有钱的。
She said coldly, I asked how much.
她冷冷地说:我只问你要多少。
The piggy eyes blinked. Ten thousand dollars.
那对猪眼睛眨巴了一下。一万美元。
Though it was twice what she had expected, her expression did not change. Assuming we paid this grotesque amount, what would we receive in return?
尽管这数目比她所预料的多了一倍,她却不动声色。倘若我们真付了这样一笔巨款,我们能得到什么样的回报呢?
The fat man seemed puzzled. Like I said, I keep quiet about what I know.
大胖子似乎被这话问糊涂了。我已经说过,我可以对自己知道的一切守口如瓶。
And the alternative?
我们若是不付钱呢?
He shrugged. I go down the lobby. I pick up a phone.
他耸了耸肩。我就下楼到门厅里去,拿起电话。
No, The statement was unequivocal. We will not pay, you.
不,话说得斩钉截铁。我们不会付钱给你。
As the Duke of Croydon shifted uneasily, the house detective's bulbous countenance reddened, Now listen, lady Peremptorily she cut him oft.
克罗伊敦公爵不安地移动着身子,探长那圆滚滚的肉脸涨得通红。你听着,夫人…