Hypothesis Contrary to Fact, she said instantly.
与事实相反的假设,波利不加思索地说着。
I dashed perspiration from my brow. Polly, I croaked, you mustn't take all these things so literally.
我摔掉了额前的汗珠。波利,我用嘶哑的声音说道,你不要死板地接受这些东西。
I mean this is just classroom stuff. You know that the things you learn in school don't have anything to do with life.
我是说那只是课堂上讲的东西。你知道学校学的东西与现实生活毫不相关。
Dicto Simpliciter, she said, wagging her finger at me playfully.
绝对判断,她说道,嬉戏地向我摇摇指头。
That did it. I leaped to my feet, bellowing like a bull. Will you or will you not go steady with me?
这一下可使我恼火了。我猛地跳了起来,像公牛似地吼叫着,你到底想不想跟我相爱?
I will not, she replied.
我不想,她答道。
Why not? I demanded.
为什么不想?我追问着。
Because this afternoon I promised Petey Burch that I would go steady with him.
因为今天下午我答应了皮蒂伯奇,我愿意和他相爱。
I reeled back, overcome with the infamy of it. After he promised, after he made a deal, after he shook my hand!The rat!I shrieked, kicking up great chunks of turf.
我被皮蒂这一无耻的行径气得一阵晕眩,情不自禁地向后退去。皮蒂答应了我,跟我成了交,还跟我握了手呢!这个可耻的家伙!我尖着嗓子大叫,把一块块草皮踢了起来。
You can't go with him, Polly. He's a liar. He's a cheat. He's a rat.
你不能跟他在一起,波利。他是一个说谎的人,一个骗子,一个可耻的家伙!
Poisoning the Well, said Polly, and stop shouting. I think shouting must be a fallacy too.
井下放毒,波利说。别叫嚷了,我认为大声叫嚷就是一种谬误。
With an immense effort of will, I modulated my voice. All right, I said. You're a logician.
我以极大的意志力把语气缓和下来。好吧,我说,你是一个逻辑学家。
Let's look at this thing logically. How could you choose Petey Burch over me? Look at me-a brilliant student, a tremendous intellectual, a man with an assured future.
那就让我们从逻辑上来分析这件事吧。你怎么会看得中皮蒂,而看不起我呢?你瞧我一个才华横溢的学生,一个了不起的知识分子,一个前途无量的人;
Look at Petey--a knothead, a jitterbug, a guy who'll never know where his next meal is coming from.
而皮蒂-一个笨蛋,一个反复无常的人,一个吃了上顿不知有没有下顿的家伙。
Can you give me one logical reason why you should go stead with Petey Burch?
你能给我一个合乎逻辑的理由来说明你为什么要跟皮蒂好吗?
I certainly can, declared Polly. He's got a raccoon coat.
当然能,波利肯定地说。他有一件浣熊皮大衣。