After Losing Parents, 6-Year-Old Boy Seeks Smiles
立志收集三万个微笑的小孤儿
We end tonight with a little boy with enormous power, the power to lift spirits. Here's Steve Hartman—On The Road.
我们以一个拥有庞大力量的小男孩的故事来为今晚做结尾,那是种振奋人心的力量。我是 Steve Hartman--欢迎收看《On The Road》 节目。
It is every kid's worst nightmare, and six-year-old Jaden Hayes has lived it...twice. First, he lost his dad when he was four; then last month, his mom died unexpectedly in her sleep.
这是每个孩子最大的恶梦,而六岁的 Jaden Hayes 经历了...两次。首先,他在四岁时失去父亲;接着在上个月,他的妈妈无预警地在睡梦中去世了。
I tried and I tried, I tried to get her awake. I couldn't.
我试了又试,我试着叫她醒来。我没办法。
Jaden is understandably heartbroken.
可以理解 Jaden 心都碎了。
Anybody can die! Just anybody.
任何人都有可能死掉!任何人。
But there's another side to his grief, a side he first made public a few weeks ago when he told his aunt and now guardian, Barbara DiCola, that he was sick and tired of seeing everyone sad all the time. And he had a plan to fix it.
但他的悲伤还有另一面,几星期前他才公开的一面,在他告诉他的阿姨兼目前监护人的 Barbara DiCola 时,他告诉她,他厌倦见到每个人总是那么悲伤。而他有一个计画来修补这一切。
And that was the beginning of it, and that's where the adventure began.
那就是一切的开始,那就是冒险启程的地方。
Jaden asked his aunt Barbara to buy a bunch of little toys and bring them here to downtown Savannah, Georgia, near where he lives, so he could then...give them away.
Jaden 请他的阿姨 Barbara 买一些小玩具,然后把玩具带到乔治亚州萨凡纳市区,一个靠近他家的地方,好让他接着可以...把玩具送出去。
Thank you, man!
谢谢你,老兄!
What is it you're doing?
你在做什么呢?
Well, I'm trying to make people smile—rubber duckies, dinosaurs...
嗯,我在试着让人们笑--橡皮鸭鸭、恐龙...
Because those are the things that make people smile.
因为那些是让人们笑的东西。
Yeah!
没错!
And what happens to their face?
那他们的脸上发生什么变化?
Really? Really.
真的吗?真的。
See that man right there?
看到在那的男人吗?
Jaden targets people who aren't already smiling and then turns their day around. He's gone out on four different occasions now, and he's always successful...
Jaden 把没有笑容的人们当作目标,然后改变他们的一天。他现在已经进行过四次了,而他没有失败过...
It's to make you smile.
这是要让你笑的。
...even if sometimes he doesn't get exactly the reaction he was hoping for. It is just so overwhelming to some people that a six-year-old orphan would give away a toy, expecting nothing in return—except a smile. Of course, he is paid handsomely in hugs. And his aunt says these reactions have done wonders for Jaden.
...即使有时候他得到的不完全是他期待的反应。这对有些人来说就是太难承受了,一个六岁的孤儿愿意送出玩具,不求任何回报--只要一个笑容。当然,他收到很多拥抱。而他的阿姨说这些反应对 Jaden 产生了奇妙的效果。
It's like sheer joy came out of this child. And the more people that he made smile, the more this light shone.
这就像是纯粹的喜悦从这孩子身上散发出来。而他让越多人微笑,这光芒就越加闪耀。
Jaden says that's mostly true.
Jaden 说那大多是真的。
But I'm still sad that my mom died.
但我还是很难过妈妈死了。
I bet you are.
我知道你肯定很难过。
This is by no means a fix. But in the smiles he's made so far, nearly 500 at last count, Jaden has clearly found a purpose.
这绝不是悲伤情绪的解药。但在他至今唤起的笑容中,最近一次统计几乎有 500 个笑容,Jaden 显然找到一个目标。
I'm counting on it to beat 33,000.
我在期待能收集到破三万三千个笑容。
33,000?!
三万三千?!
Mm-hmm.
嗯哼。
That's a pretty big goal!
那是个满大的目标耶!
Mm-hmm!
嗯哼!
You think you can make that goal?
你觉得你能达成吗?
Uh-huh! I think I can!
嗯哼!我觉得我可以!
I think he just did. Steve Hartman, On The Road, in Savannah, Georgia.
我认为 Jaden 刚做到了。Steve Hartman,《On The Road》,在乔治亚州萨凡纳为您报导。
And that's the CBS Evening News for tonight. For all of us at CBS News all around the world—I'm Scott Pelley. And I'll see you Sunday on 60 Minutes. Good night.
以上就是今晚的 CBS 晚间新闻。献给全世界在收看 CBS 新闻台的观众--我是 Scott Pelley。我们星期天在《 60 Minutes》节目相见。晚安。