We came to American when I was six years old.
我六岁时随家人来到美国
We lived in a 2-room apartment in the Garment District.
我们住在制衣区一座二室公寓里
Me and my brother and my parents and cockroaches in the kitchen.
我 我弟弟 我父母和厨房的蟑螂共处一室
我们那时很穷 所以我才做了物理学家
not to get rich, not to win the Nobel,to stop being poor.New York, wasn't it.
不是为了挣大钱 不是为了诺贝尔奖 是为了不再受穷 嘶嘶声不是来自纽约
We pointed 20 feet horn at the city.
我们把20英尺的喇叭指向纽约
It gave us a reasonable amount but-Not enough hiss.Not enough.
它发出一定量的但是..不够多的嘶嘶声 不够多
To win the Nobel Prize you have to find something.
要赢得诺贝尔奖 需要发现什么
Am I right? It's not about thinking or theory.It's about discovery.
对吗 奖励不是给予想法或理论 是给予发现的
But do you have to be looking for the thing that you find?
但你们找到的必须是你们想找的东西吗
Science can be slow work.
科学研究有时很漫长
It's hardly ever about eureka moments in the bath.
几乎从来没有在泡澡时灵光一现的幸运
You need precision, tenacity, dedication.German talents.
你得精益求精 坚韧不拔 全心全意 德国人的长处