'I've travelled 87 miles from Guangzhou to the city of Kaiping
我从广州行驶了87英里前往开平
'to spend a couple of days with cousins on my father's side,
探望我父亲这边的堂兄弟们
'who I've not seen for 23 years.
我已经有23年没见过他们了
'I'm struck by how much this place has changed.'
这个地方的变化之大让我震撼
God, I have never seen so many four-wheel drives.
上帝,我从没见过这么多四轮驱动车
I think there has been a recent survey that says,
我想起了最近的一份调查报告
for the first time in China, more than 50%, half of the people,
它说,在中国,第一次,有超过50%的人口
are living in urban areas now, instead of in the countryside.
生活在城市里,超过了农村人口
That's a remarkable change, when you think that China has always been at least 80% to 90% peasants.
这是个令人印象深刻的变化,当你想到中国,曾至少有80%到90%的人都是农民的国家
Up until the 1990s, my cousins were full-time farmers,
直到20世纪90年代,我的堂兄弟们都还是农民
but as China began to accept private enterprise,
但当中国开始接受私营企业后
they moved to the city and set up a successful restaurant.
他们移居到城市,创办了一家成功的餐厅
I'm kind of curious to meet them and actually to learn more about parts of my family's past which I don't know.
我很想见到他们,确实想了解更多关于我的家人那些我所不知道的过去
This is my last visit, when I took my mother and actually her sister.
这是我上次拜访,当时我着我母亲和她妹妹
I know quite a bit about my mum's family.
我对我母亲的家人知道的多一些
My dad's family was sort of a mystery.
我父亲的家庭是一个谜
This is a great opportunity for me to reconnect.
这是一次让我重新建立联系的好机会
Hopefully over food.
希望通过食物建立联系
I think it will be about coming to terms about who I am and sort of where my place is.
我想那将取决于是否接受我是谁以及我的位置在哪里