"We knew that our minority students, a lot of them, were doing well," says Richard Lempert, one of the authors of the Michigan study.
“我知道的我们那些少数族裔学生,他们大部分都干得很不错,”密歇根该项计划负责人之一的理查德.兰柏说
"I think our expectation was that we would find a half or twothirdsfull glass,
“我们原来预计,调査人数的一半或者三分之二都会不如白人学生做得好,
that they had not done as well as the white students but nonetheless a lot were quite successful.
尽管他们很多人应该还是成功的。
But we were completely surprised. We found out that they were doing every bit as well.
然而调査的结果让我们大吃一惊。我们发现他们每一件事情都做得像白人学生一样好,
There was no place where we saw any serious discrepancy."
没发现他们之间存在什么明显的差异。”
What Lempert is saying is that by the only measure that a law school really ought to care about
兰柏所说的也是法学院必须正视的唯一选拔法则
how well its graduate students in the real world minority students aren't less qualified.
那就是从这里毕业的学生在现实世界中的表现如何一少数族裔学生并非不够资格。
They're just as successful as white students.
他们和白人学生一样能够取得成功
And why? Because even though the academic credentials of minority students at Michigan aren't as good as those white students,
为什么?因为即便密歇根大学这些少数族裔学生在学习资历上不如白人学生优秀,
the quality of students at the law school is high enough that they're still above the threshold.
但是法学院培养的学生质量却足够高,他们的智商依旧超过了进入大学所要求的标准。
They are smart enough.
他们足够聪明。
Knowledge of a law student's test scores is of little help if you are faced with a classroom of clever law students.
如果整个房间的法学院学生都足够聪明,那么知道他们的测试结果就亳无必要。
Let's take the threshold idea one step further.
让我们进一步展开这种标准划分的观点。
If intelligence only matters up to a point, then pass that point, other things
如果说智商只和某一方面相关,那么我们先把它搁置一旁,进入到其他方面
things that have nothing to do with intelligence must start to matter more.
一些和智商毫不相关的方曲——很多地方都值得关注。
It's like basketball again: once you're tall enough, then we start to care about speed and court sense and shooting touch.
就如前面说到的篮球运动一样:如果你够高,那么我们开始关注你的速度、球场上的感觉和灵敏度、控球技术以及投篮技巧。
So, what might some of those other things be?
那么,所谓的“其他方面”指的又是什么?
Well, suppose that instead of measuring your IQ, I gave you a totally different kind of test.
好吧,如果要知道你的智商,我会让你看看另外一种测试。
Write down as many different uses that you can think of for the following objects: a brick, a blanket.
看到以下的物体,请写下你能想到的它们的不同用途:
This is what's called a "divergence test"
这种方法叫做发散测试,
(as opposed to a test like the Raven's, which asks you to sort through a list of possibilities and converge on the right answer).
和瑞文测验相反,它让你选出和正确答案相类似的所有可能性答案。
It requires you to use your imagination and take your mind in its many directions as possible.
它需要你充分发挥自己的想象力,尽可能让的思维发散。
With a divergence test like this, there obviously isn't a single right answer.
很显然,这样的发散测试没有唯一正确的答案。