So I think the human mind and the meaning it creates...
因此我认为人类的心灵与其所创造的意义
arise from a large complex system operating to very simple rules.
来自一个复杂的大型系统 且根据相当简单的运作法则
Which means Descartes was right.
也就是说 笛卡尔是对的
The body and mind are different.
肉体与灵魂是不同的
The body and the brain are made out of physical matter.
身体和大脑是由实体物质构成的
The mind is a product of the ever-changing state of this matter.
心灵则是这些物质千变万化下的产物
Our body is the hardware.
我们的身体就是硬件
Our mind is the software.
我们的心灵则是软件
Just like the software that allows me to speak these words.
如同让我说出这些话的软件
But this does pose a problem:
但这又提出了一个问题
the problem of free will.
自由意志的问题
When I was a young man,my father wanted me to become a doctor like him.
当我还年轻时 我父亲希望我像他一样成为医生
But I chose to study physics instead.
但我反而选择研究物理学
Looking back,I'm pleased because as things worked out
回首过去 我很满意 因为就现在的情况来看
I would have made a pretty useless doctor.
我也没办法行医
So I made the right choice.
因此我的决定是正确的
Or did I choose at all?
但真的是我自己选择的吗?
Perhaps I am deluded about my own free will.
也许我被自己的自由意志蒙骗了
After all,if my mind follows the strict rules of nature
毕竟 我的心智若依据严谨的自然法则
maybe the path I chose was predetermined.
或许我选择的道路早已决定了