I didn't have the money to repair it.
我没有钱修车,
So I went to the dean and my advisor in sequence and I said, I have a problem.
所以我先后找到学院院长和我的指导老师,告诉他们说我遇到了麻烦。
The transmission fell out of my car, and you have me in a seven-thirty a.m. and eight-thirty a.m. class.
我汽车的动力装置出现故障,很难按照他们规定的时间,在早上七点半和八点半上课,
If you could please just transfer me to the afternoon sections of those classes,
如果因为汽车的问题,调整我上课的时间,让我上下午的课,
I would appreciate it because of this car problem.
我将非常感激他们。
There was a neighbour who was a rancher who was going to take me in at eleven o'clock.
我的邻居是一个农场的工人,他可以在上午十一点顺便带我到学校。
My advisor was this cowboy-looking guy with a handlebar mustache, dressed in a tweed jacket.
我的指导老师很像一个牛仔,他留着大八字胡,穿着斜纹软呢外套,
He said, 'well, son, after looking at your transcript at Reed College,
他对我说,好了,孩子,看了你在里德学院的生活版本之后,
I can see you have yet to learn that everyone has to make sacrifices to get an education.
我觉得你还是应该像其他人一样,要为学习做出一定的牺牲。
Request denied.' So I went to the dean. same treatment."
我的请求被驳回来了。所以我就去找院长,得到的是同样的答复。”
His voice grew tight.
他说话的节奏变得急促。
He was describing things that had happened over thirty years ago, but the memory still made him angry.
虽然说到的事情已经过去了30多年,但一想到这些往事就让他生气:
"At that point, I realized, here I was, knocking myself out to make money to make my way back to school,
“这时候我意识到,在蒙大纳的这个深秋,
and it's the middle of Montana winter.
为了返回校园,我必须拼命挣钱。
I am willing to hitchhike into town every day, do whatever I had to do,
我每天都必须搭顺风车到镇上,做过去我曾做过的一切事情,
just to get into school and back, and they are unwilling to do anything for me.
这都是为了回到学校学习,而他们并不想为我提供一些便利。
So bananas. And that was the point I decided I could do without the higher-education system.
这真是疯了。这时候我终于想通了,心想即使没有接受高等教育,我同样可以做很多事情。
Even if I couldn't do without it, it was sufficiently repugnant to me that I wouldn't do it anymore.
即使离开后我真是做不成任何事,我也不相信以后自己再也不能接受高等教育了。
So I dropped out of college, simple as that."
所以我就离开了学院,事情就是这样简单。”
Chris Langan's experiences at Reed and Montana State represented a turning point in his life.
克里斯.兰根在里德学院和蒙大纳州立大学的经历是他人生的拐点。
As a child, he dreamed of becoming an academic.
还在孩童时期,他就梦想自己成为一名大学教师。
He should have gotten a Ph.D; universities are institutions structured, in large part,
他成为一名博士:大学的制度很适合像他这样
for people with his kind of deep intellectual interests and curiosity.
智力超群,充满好奇心的人——通常情况下都是如此。
"Once he got into the university environment, I thought he would prosper, I really did," his brother Mark says.
“如果他融入了大学的环境,我相信他能够成功,我坚信这一点,”
"I though he would somehow find a niche. It made absolutely no sense to me when he left that."
他的弟弟马克说,“我想他需要设法获得一个好的机会。当他离开那里的时候,我事先毫不知情。”
Without a degree, Langan floundered. He worked in construction.
没有任何学位,兰根就开始了艰苦的历程。他在建筑工地干过;
One frigid winter he walked on a clam boat in Long Island.
他曾在长岛的捕蛤船上度过了寒冷的严冬;