"Mr. Thaddeus Sholto," said the little man, still jerking and smiling.
这矮小的人仍然是神情不安,微笑着自我介绍道:"我的名字叫塞笛厄斯·舒尔托。
"That is my name. You are Miss Morstan, of course. And these gentlemen..."
您当然是摩斯坦小姐喽,这两位先生..."
"This is Mr. Sherlock Holmes, and this Dr. Watson."
"这位是歇洛克·福尔摩斯先生,这位是华生医生。"
"A doctor, eh?" cried he, much excited. "Have you your stethoscope?
他很兴奋地喊道:"啊,一位医生?您带听诊器来了吗?
Might I ask you--would you have the kindness? I have grave doubts as to my mitral valve, if you would be so very good.
我可以不可以请求您--您肯不肯给我听一听?劳驾吧,我心脏的僧帽瓣也许有毛病。
The aortic I may rely upon, but I should value your opinion upon the mitral."
我的大动脉还好,可是对于我的僧帽瓣,我要听听您的宝贵的意见。"
I listened to his heart, as requested, but was unable to find anything amiss, save, indeed, that he was in an ecstasy of fear, for he shivered from head to foot.
我听了听他的心脏,除去他由于恐怖而全身颤抖以外,找不出什么毛病来。
"It appears to be normal," I said. "You have no cause for uneasiness."
我道:"心脏很正常,不必着急,您放心好了。"
"You will excuse my anxiety, Miss Morstan," he remarked airily.
他轻快地说道:"摩斯坦小姐,请您原谅我的焦急,
"I am a great sufferer, and I have long had suspicions as to that valve.
我时常难受,总疑心我的心脏不好。
I am delighted to hear that they are unwarranted.
既然正常,我很高兴。
Had your father, Miss Morstan, refrained from throwing a strain upon his heart, he might have been alive now."
摩斯坦小姐,您的父亲如果能克制自己,不伤到他的心脏,他到现在可能还活着呢。"
I could have struck the man across the face,
我不禁怒从心起,真想向他脸上打一拳。
so hot was I at this callous and offhand reference to so delicate a matter.
这样应当审慎的话,怎好如此直说呢?
Miss Morstan sat down, and her face grew white to the lips.
摩斯坦小姐坐了下来,面色惨白。
"I knew in my heart that he was dead," said she.
她说道:"我心里早已明白我父亲已经去世了。"
"I can give you every information," said he; "and, what is more, I can do you justice; and I will, too, whatever Brother Bartholomew may say.
他道:"我能尽量告诉您一切,并且还能主持公道;无论我哥哥巴索洛谬要说什么,我也是要主持公道的。
I am so glad to have your friends here not only as an escort to you but also as witnesses to what I am about to do and say.
今天您和您的两位朋友同来,我高兴极了,他们两位不只是您的保护人,还可以对我所要说的和所要做的事作个证人。
The three of us can show a bold front to Brother Bartholomew.
咱们三人可以共同对付我哥哥巴索洛谬,
But let us have no outsiders--no police or officials.
可是咱们不要外人参加--不要警察或官方。
We can settle everything satisfactorily among ourselves without any interference.
咱们可以无需外人的干预而圆满地解决咱们自己的问题。
Nothing would annoy Brother Bartholomew more than any publicity."
如果把事情公开,我哥哥巴索洛谬是绝不会同意的。"
He sat down upon a low settee and blinked at us inquiringly with his weak, watery blue eyes.
他坐在矮矮的靠椅上,用无神的泪汪汪的蓝眼睛望着我们,期待着我们的回答。