And what I have got is this rope and this old trap.
我有一根绳子 一个旧的捕兽器
But I know for sure I've not got enough rope to reach 60-plus foot down there.
但是我的绳子不够长 我没法靠它下到60多英尺下的地方
But there is probably enough to reach across to just the other side of this gully,and that's probably only about 30 foot.
但是到这个峡谷的对面 应该是够了 估计就只有30英尺远
I can improvise some sort of throwing device here, you know,like a grappling hook, out of this,and get it across to that.
我可以临时做一个 可以扔过去的东西 就有点像 有点像爪钩之类的东西 然后把它扔到对面去
I'm on work.Grappling hooks were first invented by the Romans.
我开工了 爪钩是罗马人最先发明的
Their sailors used them during ship-to-ship battles,thrown into the enemy's rigging,that drag them closer before boarding.
在两艘船近距离作战时 水手会把爪钩 扔到敌船的缆绳上 然后把敌船拖过来 以方便本方强行登船
Now I've got two foot stirrups from the trap.
我从这个捕兽器上 弄下来两个镫子
I'm gonna just put these together,and then.splice them.through that.
把它们这样交叉放一块 然后 像那样 把绳子拴好
That will make,like a pretty rough-and-ready, rudimentary grappling hook.
这样就能做出 一个虽然粗糙但基本能用的 爪钩
Gonna splice them like this-- an old naval technique,and the reason it's good is it's not only stronger, the knots.It also uses up less rope.
像这样绑起来 船员常用这种古老的方法打结 这样做的理由是 这种结不仅结实 而且也不费绳子
Finally, follow the pattern of the rope back on itself.Okay, let's see if we can get this thing across.
最后 顺着绳子的纹路系紧就行了 我们来看看能不能把这个东西扔过去
But throwing a rope across a 30-foot canyon is never easy.
但是要把绳子扔过30英尺宽的峡谷并不简单
Truly terrible,terrible throw.That's the aimer.Next time I get it.
真是扔得 太太太失败了 目标在那 下一把我一定要成功
The danger here is throwing yourself over the edge along with the rope,
这时最危险的就是 把自己跟绳子一起扔了出去
so make sure you've got a strong footing and keep your feet clear of the coils.
所以一定要站稳 脚边不要放绳子