Mr Heathcliff and I entered the huge main room.
希斯克利夫先生和我进到极大的正房。
It could have been any Yorkshire farmhouse kitchen, except that there was no sign of cooking, and no farmer sitting at the table.
它很像是约克郡一个普通农家的厨房,只是没有做饭的迹象,桌旁也没坐着农夫。
Mr Heathcliff certainly does not look like a farmer.
希斯克利夫先生看上去显然不像个农夫。
His hair and skin are dark, like a gipsy's, but he has the manners of a gentleman.
他的头发和皮肤是深色的,像吉卜赛人,但有绅士的派头。
He could perhaps take more care with his appearance, but he is handsome.
他还能对自己的外表再多上点儿心,但已经算得上英俊了。
I think he is proud, and also unhappy.
我觉得他很高傲,而且郁郁寡欢。
We sat down by the fire, in silence.
我们在火旁坐下,都没说话。
"Joseph!" shouted Mr Heathcliff.
“约瑟夫!”希斯克利夫先生高声喊道。
No answer came from the cellar, so he dived down there, leaving me alone with several rather fierce-looking dogs.
地窖里没有回答,于是他钻了下去,只剩下我单独和几条恶狗在一起。
Suddenly one of them jumped angrily up at me, and in a moment all the others were attacking me.
突然有一条气势汹汹地跳起来扑向我,随即其他的几条也都攻向我。
From every shadowy corner in the great room appeared a growling animal, ready to kill me, it seemed.
这大屋子的每个阴暗角落都蹿出一条嗥叫的恶兽,似乎有要杀了我的架势。
"Help! Mr Heathcliff! Help!" I shouted, trying to keep the dogs back.
“救命呀!希斯克利夫先生!救命!”我一边竭力不让狗近身,一边高声喊道。
My landlord and his servant were in no hurry to help, and could not have climbed the cellar steps more slowly,
我的房东和他的仆人根本不急于来解救我,从地窖的楼梯往上爬,慢得不能再慢了。
but luckily a woman, who I supposed was the housekeeper, rushed into the room to calm the dogs.
但幸运的是有个女人,我猜她是这儿的女管家,冲进屋里把狗制服了。
"What the devil is the matter?" Mr Heathcliff asked me rudely, when he finally entered the room.
“搞什么鬼?”希斯克利夫先生无礼地问我道,这时他终于进了屋。
"Your dogs, sir! "I replied."You shouldn't leave a stranger with them. They're dangerous."
“是您的狗,先生!”我回答。“您不应该把一个生人和它们撇在一起。它们很危险。”
Come, come, Mr Lockwood. Have some wine.
好了,好了,洛克伍德先生,喝点酒。
We don't often have strangers here, and I'm afraid neither I nor my dogs are used to receiving them.
我们这儿不常来生人,恐怕我和我这些狗都不知道怎么接待客人。