I could not feel offended after this, and accepted the wine.
这么一来我倒没了被冒犯的感觉,接过了酒。
We sat drinking and talking together for a while.
我们坐在一起边喝边聊了一会儿。
I suggested visiting him tomorrow. He did not seem eager to see me again, but I shall go anyway.
我提议明天再来拜访他。他对再见我似乎并没有热情,但无论如何我也得去。
I am interested in him, even if he isn't interested in me.
我对他很有兴趣,虽然他对我没有。
Two days later Yesterday afternoon was misty and bitterly cold,
两天后。昨天下午有雾,天气阴冷,
but I walked the four miles to Wuthering Heights and arrived just as it was beginning to snow.
但我走了四英里去呼啸山庄,刚到就开始下雪了。
I banged on the front door for ten minutes, getting colder and colder.
我在前门使劲儿敲了10分钟,觉得越来越冷。
Finally Joseph's head appeared at a window of one of the farm buildings.
最后约瑟夫终于从一间农舍的窗子里探出头来。
"What do you want? " he growled.
“你想干什么?”他吼道。
"Could you let me in? " I asked desperately.
“你能让我进去吗?”我绝望地问。
He shook his head. "There's only Mrs Heathcliff indoors, and she won't open the door to you. "
他摇了摇头。“只有希斯克利夫夫人在家,她不会给你开门的。”
Just then a young man appeared and called me to follow him.
就在这时出现了一个年轻人,叫我跟他走。
We went through the back door and into the big room where I had been before.
我们从后门进了我曾去过的那间大屋。
I was delighted to see a warm fire and a table full of food. And this time there was a woman sitting by the fire.
看到暖暖的一炉火和一张摆满饭菜的桌子,我精神一振。
She must be Mrs Heathcliff, I thought. I had not imagined my landlord was married.
这次有一个女人坐在火旁。我猜她一定就是希斯克利夫夫人了。我没料到我的房东已有家室。
She looked at me coldly without saying anything.
她冷冰冰地看着我,一声没吭。
"Terrible weather! " I remarked. There was silence.
“这坏天气!”我说。还是沉默。
"What a beautiful animal! " I tried again, pointing to one of the dogs that had attacked me.
“真是条好狗!”我指着攻击过我的一条狗,又试探了一次。
She still said nothing, but got up to make the tea.
她还是没说话,却起身沏茶。
She was only about seventeen, with the most beautiful little face I had ever seen.
她只有十七岁上下,一张脸蛋儿是我所见过的最美的。
Her golden wavy hair fell around her shoulders.
她金色、波浪般的头发披在肩上。